Tomato seedling advice please!

• 30 Replies

mashauk

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 17:27 »
Quote from: "crackedflowerpots"
i have just put our tomato seeds in a tray in our greenhouse which is unheated and has bits of glass missing so i'm sure ur polytunnel will be warm enough ... i tell you what... i'l pop over and sit in it for half hour and report back! :D

At midnight?  I know it's warm in the daytime but it must get freezing in there at night.

crackedflowerpots

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 17:33 »
my tomatoes normally do ok even after i abandon them to the dark cold midnight but maybe ive been lucky . sorry i dont wanna give wrong advice especially as you are within nose punching distance! :lol:
if it grows, it grows! if it doesnt ,, ah well .. there's always next year. :-)

mashauk

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 17:57 »
Well maybe I'll take a couple down there at the weekend, put them under the fishtank and see what happens, it's not like I haven't got loads more, I've got all Jules's seeds from last year too!

crackedflowerpots

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 18:12 »
Quote from: "mashauk"
Well maybe I'll take a couple down there at the weekend, put them under the fishtank and see what happens, it's not like I haven't got loads more, I've got all Jules's seeds from last year too!
:lol:  :lol:  thanks to jules then!

Trillium

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 19:10 »
Green Owl, pinch off the tips of your sweet peas (up to half if necessary) and they'll send up new shoots for bushier plants later. And you're right, it is a bit early for most things.

Cold frames work fine but need daily 'tuning' - lids must be propped open a bit on sunny days so you don't bake your seedlings to death, at night, lids must be closed so they don't get frosted. On fairly cold nights you might even have to throw an old blanket over the frame to maintain warmth - then get it off when the sun's out next day. Somewhere in John's lotty shop, he sells automatic vent lifters which work fine on cold frames. Masha's aquarium could end up more of a headache.

mashauk

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 19:26 »
Unfortunately it's the only thing I've got at the moment inside the polytunnel to cover the seedlings with and I can't get there every day to adjust things.  I grew my broad beans under another fishtank on my flat roof and they were fine.

crackedflowerpots

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 19:48 »
Have you ever found a stray tomato on your plot? we have! ... and without a touch from us it grew scrumptious tom's ... say  :D no more!

gobs

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 20:31 »
We are not talking stray tomatoes germinated at their own will in April or whenever, not even your seedling which you grew in the poly, we are talking Masha's seedlings, which she got out of the 'incubator' on Sunday. Makes a bit of a difference I would think.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

crackedflowerpots

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 20:45 »
Quote from: "gobs"
We are not talking stray tomatoes germinated at their own will in April or whenever, not even your seedling which you grew in the poly, we are talking Masha's seedlings, which she got out of the 'incubator' on Sunday. Makes a bit of a difference I would think.

:oops: i stand corrected!

ToHellWithWeeds!

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 20:49 »
my tomato seedlings are about 6 inches big noe and ive potted them on and just leave them in the conservatry (which isnt heated) and they seem fine in there i only water when the compost is dry and ive got 75 as that is the amount of seeds that was in the packet i didnt think they would wll grow dont know what im going to do with them all  :roll: my beetroot is about 10 inches now and ive potted them on and i planted my leek seeds on sunday but im slowly running out of room but never mind
need all the help i can get and not just with my allotment

gobs

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 20:53 »
Quote from: "crackedflowerpots"
Quote from: "gobs"

:oops: i stand corrected!

You are not corrected, lol, you making good sense just the context might be a bit different. Easy that, I do it often you don't read post properly just start to go on what yourself are doing with them. done it plenty of times meself. :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 21:23 »
All mine are still in their packets!!!!

matron

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 21:39 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
All mine are still in their packets!!!!

I'm with you GrannieAnnie.

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 22:09 »
I got carried away in the sunshine today. Dad built me a large coldframe and I about filled it!

GreenOwl

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2008, 22:26 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
Green Owl, pinch off the tips of your sweet peas (up to half if necessary) and they'll send up new shoots for bushier plants later.

Thanks Trillium, I hadn't thought I could take them back that far but I've nothing to lose.  I had originally planned to start some in Jan, some in Feb and some direct to try and make them a bit successional so I shall sow some more anyway.

xx
What to do with this tomato seedling?

Started by ConfusedGardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 25, 2013, 22:23
by ConfusedGardener
xx
The perfick tomato seedling.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 10, 2013, 15:23
by Totty
xx
Tomato Seedling Disease?

Started by smudger28 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 24, 2010, 14:50
by smudger28
xx
Johns tomato seedling tip

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 02, 2017, 21:43
by jambop

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 31 queries.