Pak Choi

• 6 Replies

Sideways

• Experienced Member
Pak Choi
« on: June 10, 2011, 10:03 »
Ive grown Pak Choi for the first time, around a dozen plants. They have come on amazingly well, will be pulling up the first one today for tonights stir-fry  ;)

Im planning to start another batch from seed this weekend, hope its not to late to get some growing over winter  :happy:
We lived for days on nothing but food and water.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Pak Choi
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 10:14 »
not too late....too early IMO  :)

They really don't do well through midsummer (mind you it's like March out there today ::) )

Sow some again later in the year :)

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 10:17 »
Pak choi fan here too and I have a row of newly emerging seed of Riko.  I grew Tatsoi last year, in a big tub, and that's lovely stuff

If you're into stir fry get sowing a scattering of mixed oriental leaves (doesn't contain pak choi though for some reason) for adding to your stir fry.  I keep a seed tray of it in the greenhouse all year round, making successive sowings so I always have some to hand.  Keeping it indoors just means it's clean so it doesn't need washing  :)

Sideways

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 10:19 »
Ah, ok, plant around Sept then?

The ones currently in the ground are probably benefitting from this cooler period, that’s probably why they look so healthy. Lots of Asian cooking over the next few weeks then, make the most of my early crop!

oldcow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 11:16 »
I grow them in the summer too. They'll work just fine, provided you give them plenty of water. At most, they will bolt, but if that happens just harvest them and eat them, included the flower stem, before it flowers. I prefer them still fairly small...

emptydraw

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 12:07 »
Ours were going great guns until the flea beetles decimated them, it took us a week or so to figure what was causing all of the holes, by then it was too late. Will go again later in the year.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 18:00 »
We are currently having to have frequent stir fries to keep up!

I sewed the seeds in March  in my raised beds which are covered by Harrod Horticultures wonderful hoops and insect mesh. I have two rows of enormously healthy plants which taste fantastic  :D

I am a big fan of Pak Choi; so easy to grow and provided you keep them well watered can be planted at any time of the year.

I always feel kind of proud when I bring a perfectly formed enormously succulent plant into the kitchen for the OH  ::) They just look wonderfully 'professional'

xx
Pak Choi

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 11, 2007, 23:10
by Jim T
question
pak choi

Started by san22 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 07:37
by isis
xx
Pak Choi

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 27, 2013, 20:49
by shokkyy
xx
PAK CHOI

Started by greydog on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 21:04
by Trillium

Page created in 0.399 seconds with 41 queries.