No more carrots!

• 24 Replies

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
No more carrots!
« on: August 05, 2010, 13:09 »
Well, despite early fleecing, and choosing restant varieties (Resistafly and Flyaway), and also using carrot Fly nematodes (Grow Your Own), I have come back from hols to find I've lost all three 10ft rows of carrots to fly. They had all grown nicely too some were around 8" long.

I only took the fleece off a couple of weeks back since they were getting starved of light, and now the b******d flies have had the lot!!

Thats it for me. Never again. Too much faff, fleece, drums, thinning etc. etc. I don't like to be beaten, but thats 3 years on the trot, so I'm giving up on these. Sainsbury's here I come...

Phill  >:( >:(

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: No more carrots!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 13:15 »
Enviromesh.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 13:24 »
I would echo the virtues of enviromesh. I used it this year and got no carrot fly yet I too had suffered in the past with my main carrots with the dreaded fly so I share your upset! I merely used a few bamboo canes around the carrot bed, upturned plastic bottles on top, and draped over the enviromesh - and earth/peg around the bottom.

I have just sown my winter carrots but had run out of enviromesh so have used fleece instead. Did that last August and the winter carrots were fine. I found it let enough of the light in.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 13:30 »
I was going to give up after loosing my crop last year (again) but decided to have one more go. I made a large, deep wooden planter and stood it on breezeblocks (3 blocks high) so that the top of the box is at my chest height. no fleece used.

Result: lovely carrot crop - we have been eating them now for a couple of months, and NO CARROTFLY!!  :D :D
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 13:37 »
I can't get 3 x 32' rows of carrots that high!

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 13:48 »
I can't get 3 x 32' rows of carrots that high!

the box is 72'' long and 18'' wide. I can fit about 40 carrots per square foot in it and, with successional sowing, should get around 450 carrots out of it. That's enough for us  :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 13:58 »
Because of space constraints, we don't grow everything or as much of some crops as we would like, but carrots whilst cheap to buy are always there as the flavour compared to shop bought, is out of this world!

Worth persevering......

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 14:01 »
Because of space constraints, we don't grow everything or as much of some crops as we would like, but carrots whilst cheap to buy are always there as the flavour compared to shop bought, is out of this world!

Worth persevering......

quite right! There is no better taste than a fresh carrot  :)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 15:49 »

Worth persevering......

Couldn't agree more. Any chance of building a raised bed and environmesh too? Really worth it as Argyllie says
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Livinhope

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 17:11 »
I have never had any success with carrots so I only grew a row of Resistafly about 5 foot long, covered it, and a few other things, with enviromesh then sat back and waited for them to fail.  Guess what, utter success so have quickly planted another full row.  Next year will go to town.  I guess the enviromesh is something that these days we can't do without.  Another method is what a neighbouring plot holder did which was to grow them high in an old tin bath.

oldcow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 17:32 »
Not sure I'll grow any next year either. Mine were grown under mesh, so no fly problems, but I don't think they taste any better than the ones bought in supermarkets (and I grew two varieties). It was my first year, so maybe I did something wrong, but they look good and the other veggies grown in the same soil taste great...

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 17:42 »
I'd be examining my taste buds!

If the taste is the same as the supermarket ones, they'd have no taste at all!

madcat

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 18:32 »
I feel for you Phill!  I share your pain....   :( :( :( :(  Its not just you ....

Why do they go for MY carrots and decimate them, while everyone else grows lovely ones in open ground without any protection at all???  No rabbits, no fly, no slugs ....  they home in on me! 
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 18:35 »
I feel for you Phill!  I share your pain....   :( :( :( :(  Its not just you ....

Why do they go for MY carrots and decimate them, while everyone else grows lovely ones in open ground without any protection at all???  No rabbits, no fly, no slugs ....  they home in on me! 

Are you only about 6" tall with a David Dickinson-like complexion?  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 18:39 »

They only did it the once to me. The first year on my current plot and I skipped 6 wheelbarrow loads of carrots. I'd never come across the fly before.

I'm not going without proper tasting carrots and I vowed they'd never do it again!

xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
Carrots - last try

Started by Beano on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 18:26
by allotmentann
xx
Carrots!

Started by dno71 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2011, 20:17
by JaK
xx
Carrots

Started by Patz46 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2009, 14:42
by shaun

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 40 queries.