Carrot question.

• 2 Replies

A Reyt Tayty

Carrot question.
« on: January 20, 2014, 18:58 »
Last year my carrots were abysmal. I've prepared a raised bed for them using old compost which I grew tomatoes in last year, with a goodly addition of sand. I know they don't like fresh manure, so what nutrients should I add to the mix to get better results than last year? Is gromore good for the job?

Tea Break

Re: Carrot question.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 19:16 »
I just prepared a raised bed  ready for carrots to go in and all i do is sprinkle over it BF&B and give it a deep turn over and siving then sow about a week later and wait for them to come up. These are for the poly so that way i dont get carrot fly, and as i'm sowing early they will be covered with a plastic cover to keep the temp up.
Growmore sounds good you could sprinkle some chicken pellets if not sowing yet, so they have a bit of time to break down and the carrots can go looking for the neutrients.

best of luck with them Mike.

sarajane

Re: Carrot question.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 00:11 »
We have a permanent raised bed that we've used for about 6 years. (It is surrounded by 2 foot of plastic to keep out the carrot fly)  Each year we dig it over and add about 3/4 inches of homemade compost and sow direct into this.  It all gets a sprinkling of BFB and with the exception of 1 year we have great carrots.  We are still harvesting carrots at the moment.

With carrots I believe a lot has to do with the soil structure.  Make it fairly light but ensure they are well watered so they don't dry out in the early days but then leave them to their own devices to grow and find their own moisture.

xx
Carrot question

Started by Biddy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 07, 2009, 18:54
by DD.
xx
A carrot question

Started by prikay on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 05, 2011, 18:57
by prikay
xx
Carrot Question

Started by basketcase on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post July 01, 2006, 07:52
by hermon
xx
Another carrot question.......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 15, 2007, 10:16
by jacnal

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 28 queries.