Cross pollination of squashs

• 3 Replies

SueW

Cross pollination of squashs
« on: November 16, 2009, 15:44 »
Hi - I'm new to this forum, and I wonder if someone can help with my query.  I want to grow butternut squash, sweet dumpling squash and trombomcino courgette next year, but I also want to collect the seed but I need to know if these varieties will cross pollinate?  If they do it means that they won't come true from seed - mind you it could be interesting !!!!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Cross pollination of squashs
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 16:13 »
all pumpkin/squash will cross pollinate have a look here for a previous thread :)

zazen999

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 08:16 »
Sue

You can stop squash cross pollination really easily; it just takes some diligence.

Any flowers [male of female] that you see nearly ready to open, tie them closed with a piece of string or an elastic band. They are usually yellow at the ends when they are about to open.

the next day, untie them; take the male flower off, take the petals off and you will have a stick of male pollen; open the female flower, and gently push the male pollen on the stick into the centre of the female flower; you'll see the female's stamens open up as you do. Leave the male stick there and tie up the female flower again. Then, mark that squash with something [I have a standard for all plants that I am keeping for the seeds, I use the white ties that come with my wilko canes so that they are obvious to me and my OH as we garden]. Then leave the squash on the plant for as long as physically possible to mature.

When you come to eat the squash, take the seeds out, give them a really really good wash and dry them thoroughly [I use my warm not hot airing cupboard]. Then, I wash mine again and dry them again; just for good measure.

Look at the real seeds website if you need more info about keeping seed from cross-pollination.

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 20:52 »
Hi, check before you save seed that they are not hybrid plants ( F 1 ) if they are you cannot save the seed.

xx
Cross pollination

Started by Baz on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 24, 2007, 12:49
by Stevens706
xx
Cross Pollination

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 07, 2013, 10:16
by pdblake
xx
Cross pollination question

Started by robbodaveuk on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 10:10
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Tomatoes and cross pollination

Started by oldcow on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 17, 2010, 09:00
by Swing Swang

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 40 queries.