A few Wordsa

• 19 Replies

jezza

A few Wordsa
« on: January 30, 2020, 20:54 »
A few words that we need to remember and hopefully be able to use after tomorrow  Pound Ounce Yard Inch Mile Pint Gallon  im converting all measurements that's metric to Imperial hopefully we won't be short changed in supermarkets any more 1/4 pound should be 112g not 100g I keep asking for extra put on when I ask for a 1/4 pound of ham but say I'm only paying displayed price   jezza

mrs bouquet

Re: A few Wordsa
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 22:45 »
I never have used any of the metric stuff anyway.  It is still pounds and ounces and inches, feet and yards  :)
Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 23:13 »
Both metric and imperial have their uses. In woodwork I use Imperial, mainly due the fact that most of the stuff I've learned is from American books and videos. For science, my brain can't even begin to comprehend how we could try and use imperial...

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 10:25 »
Hubby was watching an old black and white film on tv yesterday, and the action was taking place at a horse racing event.  He suddenly asked me "How long is a furlong?", and straight away I answered "one eighth of a mile".  Just showing my age, but it stays in your head doesn't it?

TonyB.

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 15:34 »
When buying timber I still think; 2 x 1; 1 1/2 x 1; etc but settle for the metric lengths. Then when it comes to construction it is wholly feet and inches.
I did notice in Germany in the 1970's that the market stalls advertised their veg in "pfunds" (pounds). So I was more than a little surprised on return to the UK that the EU were banning us from using imperial measurements.

Christine

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 15:37 »
One has to allow for the generations that have only been taught metric at school. Us old folks may be able to do imperial and metric but there's an awful lot of the younger people who won't be able to do so. Metric came in for business as early as 1965. My children (early 50s and under) and their children will have done mostly metric. Only one of the grandchildren does imperial as well as metric but that's because of his job. For the rest - imperial it is. Likewise youngsters who have grown up since February 1971 only using decimal coinage.

You can't unpick such things overnight because of a change in the political status.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 16:13 »
I think the aim is to be able to buy in whichever is most comfortable for you. I don't really expect much to change, but things may go back to being labelled/priced in both imperial and metric, as imperial will probably now be reallowed. (Especially for items that may eventually be sold under a USA trade deal ;))

However, Australia, N Zealand and |Canada are metric now, another reason to keep our present metric system...

mrs bouquet

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 16:51 »
I was taught imperial at school, and not through my choice the system was turned to metric, and I had to re-learn, so if those learning now have to compromise and learn both, so be it.  Mrs Bouquet

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 17:55 »
My son in law who is in the building trade always says to me when I ask him to work something out for building or materials is that in old money meaning I'm still using imperial as most of the building materials like wood plasterboard and many more is always in metric although I did invest in conversion table when I go to  builders  merchants or screwfix I try not to use imperial as it confuses them  :D :D

jezza

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 11:58 »
Hello I use an old engineering place that has some Whitworth bolts and nuts ask the assistants at Screwfix for some 1/2inch Whitworth left hand threaded nuts and bolts that drives them mad  jezza

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2020, 13:09 »
Crumbs! This post has taken me way back to when I was in infant school and we had some metal jugs of different capacities one of which was a gill which equated to a quarter of a pint, then so we move on to more measurement terms I remember from the back of my school exercise book. Acres, furlongs, chains, hectares, rods, perches and poles.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2020, 15:24 »
The slope of a hill given as a persentage GRRRhhh.  I'll be glad to see the 1 in 10 or 1 in 25 back.

Cheers,  Tony
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

wighty

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2020, 17:33 »
It's going to cost an awful lot of money to change back so I can't see it happening.  Whitworth nuts and bolts are impossible to source so it's only the older style of retailer (like ourselves, we own a DIY/hardware shop) we do have a very few and keep them 'behind the counter' and only     pass them on to people we know.

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2020, 07:04 »
I was at Hammersmith Tech, studying Building and Engineering, the year we 'went metric'.

The Standard Method of Measurement for quantity surveyors had to change, as did all the sorts of calculations one needed in building and civil engineering. It really was a nightmare, and most lecturers were also floundering to explain how it all worked! I still struggle with 'Newtons'...

Like others here, I now work both in metric and imperial, preferring the latter really. I have all my dad's old tapes and engineering rules, so the allotment was always measured in feet and inches, and the garden at home still is as well! I had to design the work for planning permission at 'The Turrets' in metric though!

Funnily enough, I still cannot actually 'see' a measurement like a rod, or a perch, but a chain is easy as it's a cricket pitch...

Goosegirl

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2020, 11:36 »
One rod, perch or pole (sometimes called a lug) is a surveyor's tool and is a unit of length exactly equal to ​5 1⁄2 yards, 16​1⁄2 feet, ​1⁄320 of a statute mile, or one-fourth of a surveyor's chain (approximately 5.0292 meters). A chain is 20.1168 metres or 66 foot. As one inch equates to 2.5 cms my rough but easy way to convert, say, 30 centimetres to inches is this:
Divide 30 by 5 then multiply by 2 and you get 12".
To convert inches to centimetres, divide 12 by 2, multiply by 5 and you get 30 cms.
Can I go now as I need a lie down!  :nowink:

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 48 queries.