Kale

• 9 Replies

rowlandwells

Kale
« on: February 07, 2021, 14:55 »
i was watching a food program on the Tv the other day i think it was to do with healthy eating and kale was mentioned as one of the best vegetables one could eat and as it happened it was one of the more costlier veg to buy so Kale is once again on the our list of things to grow we grew some kale last year can't remember the variety but that was cut and come again variety

trying Emerald Ice this year and thinking about growing Raven a cavalo nero said to have traditional cavalo nero flavour but i don't know anything about the cavalo nero varieties never grew this before so not sure of the flavour of  this variety also looked at growing Dwarf green curled for winter use ?

any advise on growing Kale would be most welcome from those of you that grow Kale

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Kale
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 15:16 »
I only grow Cavalo type, the curly kales to my sophisticated taste buds are bitter, horrible "I ain't eating them green bits"

I sow mine around May, straight into a pot of moist compost and wait, really smple to grow.

We have issue with clubroot, so I dig a hole, sprinkle lime around it and then fill with last years compost from the tommy plants, sprinkle some fish,blood n bone around and transplant when big enough.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 15:17 by Aidy »
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 15:31 »
I grow Pentland Brig, which  has a less curly leaf and a milder taste . They even sell it in Waitrose for £10.67 per kg  :ohmy:
https://www.kingsseeds.com/Products/Vegetable-Seeds/Borecole/Borecole-Pentland-Brig#loaded

Mr Dog

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 22:15 »
Kale is one of our staples - particularly during the winter (check out The Hairy Bikers' Portuguese cabbage soup recipe as a way to use up any excess). I grow Pentland Brig, Green Curly and Cav Nero as standard.

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 09:54 »
Hi all and yes i remember from your replies Pentland Brig, that was the variety we grew don't know why I've gone with Emerald Ice this year?

in one of our catalogues Kale is  referred to as Borecole [kale] ?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 11:08 »
Borecole/Kale/Collards/Cavolo are all much the same thing just different names from different places/countries.
Some more curly leaved than others, some have nearly black leaves, some your normal 'greens'  :D

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 13:13 »
that's interesting to know Mum something ells I've learnt do the darker leaves or perpetual types have a stronger taste if i remember Kale is rich in iron?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 15:56 »
Kale is one of the best EYE veg, helps to protect the macula and can help with AMD (aged related macula degeneration(dry)) although that can be a little hit and miss.

I do like the flat leaf, hate the curly, horse fodder the curly.

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 21:15 »
One of the great things about kale is you eat the leaves throughout the year then when it starts to flower the florets and their stems make another tasty crop (not too different to PSB).

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2021, 09:32 »
that's interesting to know Mum something ells I've learnt do the darker leaves or perpetual types have a stronger taste if i remember Kale is rich in iron?
I think the darker ones have a stronger taste (which I don't like) but my perennial kale doesn't.

xx
kale

Started by Spana on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 16:46
by snowdrops
xx
Kale help!!

Started by petersson on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 09:33
by petersson
xx
Kale help ????

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 16:35
by RichardA
xx
How much Kale can I cut now?

Started by Kiki on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 01, 2011, 18:28
by Kiki

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 50 queries.