First go at sweetcorn, help!

• 7 Replies

skewball

First go at sweetcorn, help!
« on: May 21, 2010, 13:09 »

Hello, need a bit of advice re sweetcorn.

I have just decided I want to grow some as an experiment (well, its all an experiment at the mo as its my virgin year!).

I will have space in my garden once the first earlies have come out so it feels sensible to get some sweetcorn in there (?)

I would prefer to grow some from seed which I now have or is too late and I should just get some plants from the garden centre?

Assuming it’s not too late to sow it means I need to sow them in pots while waiting for the potatoes. But, do I need special root-trainer pots or can I use some fairly deep 3 ½, 4 inch pots that I have with 2 or 3 in each?

My main concern is that they will get too big for the pots before the earlies have come out..????

Any advice much appreciated!

prakash_mib

Re: First go at sweetcorn, help!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 13:20 »
you are not really late and probably in good time to grow from seeds. make some richies paper pots and get a good MPC and bung the seeds in the pots. Keep them on windowsill untill germination. and harden them off straightaway after germination and  in three weeks time voila... sweetcorn seedlings will be ready to be planted.
(and assuming your FEs will be for picking in 3 weeks time)
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 13:20 »
Plenty of time to sow them; will take from 5 days to appear, another week to grow a bit, and another week to harden off (and grow a bit more!) Total of about 3 weeks.

The thing to avoid with sweetcorn is disturbing their roots too much, so anything too small or more than 1 to a pot is not a great idea, although you might get away with it if they are really well spaced out.

Sowing individually in paper pots would be my recommendation (toilet roll tubes are nearly as good if you have any.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 13:22 »
Not sure about the timing and whether it will be a bit late once you first earlies are out or not,  I suppose that depends on how far advaced your first earlies are.

As for pots, rather than root trainers I along with a number of people on this site use Richys Paper pots for starting off things like sweetcorn.

Take a look http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=11390.0

prakash_mib

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 13:26 »
Remember, I planned for the same thing for sweetcorn after FEs but the cold has setback my FE harvest a bit and potatoes and sweetcorns are greedy feeders so you wont be having much time to re-nourish the soil and should depend on growmore stuffs.
My sweetcorns are already planted in patch and i have put some dwarf french beans to go in after FEs.

skewball

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 13:44 »
Great advice everyone, thanks!
Looks like I will go for it with the paper pots and cross fingers that the timings just about work out.

Having not grown a bean before then I have no idea about the timing of my first earlies, they went in the week before Easter (just before a really cold few days we had) but are looking, if I do say so myself, () rather impressive at the moment so hopefully they are on schedule..!!

Dwarf beans.. oh no, something else to think about..!!!!

Great site btw, I have a quick look virtually every day and just about everything I am doing in my first year is based on advice in these four virtual walls – who needs books!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 14:36 »

lesley1322

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 19:33 »
i wouldn't recommend using toilet roll inners as i did this earlier this month and because they are bottomless the roots came straight out the bottom and ended up getting broken which the seedlings DID NOT LIKE and they have now gone all brown and sad!! booo.. its all a learning curve though i guess, its my virgin year too. i've just replanted some more in... guess what... plastic drinking cups with holes in the bottom as they are quite deep. lets hope these are a bit happier :)
:)

xx
Sweetcorn in...

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

42 Replies
Last post May 12, 2011, 09:02
by bigben
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by suecoops on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 05, 2007, 23:03
by muntjac
xx
when should I sow sweetcorn?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 08:32
by Jonajo
question
Sweetcorn

Started by Give it a go on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 11, 2011, 16:52
by JayG

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 40 queries.