poorly hen

• 10 Replies

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
poorly hen
« on: June 09, 2012, 18:21 »
hey, one of my light Sussex has been off lay for a couple of days.  Its hunched up and looking very sorry for itself. 

I gave it a couple of warm baths and its passed what looks like egg white.  I have had a good feel and can't touch any shell at all.  Is it possible its a shelless egg that's broken, or could the shell be further in then about 3 inches from vent?

She is in a box in my porch quietly standing still at present. 

Any ideas?

Lew
I hate signatures but love irony

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
Re: poorly hen
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 08:20 »
42 views and not a word heh.

The hen died over night. - May well have been unavoidable, however the odd word to make let me know what i was doing was right/advise on another course of action wouldnt have gone a miss.  :(

RIP greedy hen - i used her last eggs to make my wedding cake so hopefully every one will enjoy that!

Lewis

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:24 »
sorry you lost your hen - perhaps those who viewed didn't know the answer  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

chook mother

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 08:51 »
So sorry about your hen, I am going through the same problem it is so worrying, she wont eat or drink now and just sits or stands still all day, I have an appointment to see the vet again today at 11.20 but I think I know what he will say. We do get attached to these birds dont we

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 09:01 »
Hi,  I'm so sorry to hear about Greedy Hen, I know how distressing it can be and I'm sorry I wasn't on line to read your post yesterday.  I would have thought it was soft egg, and mine go very quiet and sorry for themselves when that happens so I'm not sure what could have gone wrong except for Egg Peritonitus and there's very little that can be done for that I believe.
I'm sure you did everything you could have, and she would have had a very happy time with you. 
Cat

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 11:17 »
Apologies,

Didnt mean to sound bitter or any thing, just had a bad week and that topped it off!

First pet weve had die for many years, had got slightly attached to it, even though i said from the beginning i wouldnt!

Lew

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 11:25 »
I totally sympathise - I have spent so many sleepless nights, early mornings and various times in between worrying, crying or tearing my hair out over various ailing chickens (my own fault for going down the ex bat route probably)!  Only a fellow chicken keeper can understand how endreaing they are!
C

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 12:08 »
me too - I have nursed them in the house many a time, and spent a small fortune on vets visits. Many people will say "Oh it's just a chicken you can buy another one" but they don't know what individual characters they all are.
It does sound like an egg may have broken inside her causing an infection - not something you could have known about as when they are ill they will hide any symptoms for as long as possible often making any course of treatment too late to take effect.

chook mother

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 12:56 »
have just got back from the vet having had my chicken put to sleep the vet thought it was peritonitis so so sad

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 13:04 »
:(

bantam novice

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 21:35 »
so sorry  :(
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Another poorly hen

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 29, 2010, 07:52
by joyfull
xx
Another poorly hen.

Started by Chas on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 02, 2009, 12:21
by Chas
xx
Poorly hen

Started by laurahargreaves1 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 15:50
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 35 queries.