The sorry tale of my mantis tiller

• 14 Replies

crowndale

« on: April 05, 2008, 08:28 »
you may (or not) remember my excitement to buy a mantis tiller from ebay last september time ish.  good working order, 200 quid, only a couple of years old.  brill I thought.  couldn't get it going when I got it (started only a few days ago said the ad) so sent it to be serviced.  then the service place seemed to close down and the chap running it to disappear off the face of the earth.  numerous phone calls and visits, nothing.

so, anyway, was driving past on wednesday and saw cars outside so stopped and lo and behold the place is open!  wow.  went in and asked about the mantis.  ah yes he says, problem with that (and he couldn't have rung me 5 months ago to tell me this).  basically, he says, it doesn't work, it might (60% only certainty) be the carburetter (70 quid jobby to replace all the parts he thought 'might' be the problem) but couldn't be sure and it might be something else.  so I took the machine back (no charge, I should think not after holding onto it for so long).

So, basically I have been sold a dud, not as advertised.  200 quid wasted unless I can manage to retrieve it from the chap that sold it to me.

So am thinking that when I try again I shall be buying a brand new in the box machine, possibly the honda FG110 that I was originally going to buy anyway for only about the price of the second hand faulty mantis and the new carburetter etc!  you live and learn, it certainly is a 'buyer beware' market place is ebay.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 10:09 »
:cry:  blooming 'ell crowndale !  such a shame they are lovely little machines glad he did'nt charge you for looking.
Are you in any way mechanicly minded ? just that some of the guys on here may be able to talk you through getting it started. I'd start with looking for a spark at the plug etc.

Thats the one thing I hate about ebay there's always some jerk looking to rip people off  :twisted:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

crowndale

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 11:35 »
Sadly I am not really technically minded, I am fine when things work but useless when they break, machinery anyway.  I think I may have to cut my losses and go with a brand new machine.  One advantage would be 4 stroke over 2 stroke, no oil mixes!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 11:57 »
is their no tech minded ppl over east yorkshire on this forum to help a damsel in distress?
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

naturesparadise

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 12:38 »
dude it sounds to me like he never even looked at it

get a second opinion seeing as it sounds like he dont even know whats wrong with it

sounds to me like a cowboy mate

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 13:40 »
If I was nearer I'd offer to help, can we try to talk your way through it ? you only need a few tools, NP's right sounds like buffalo bill  :!:  from mantis you can buy every little bit for there engines etc they are quite helpful they do have a service centre themselves, I bet it's not much more than old fuel left sitting around in it.

Do you have the starting instructions for it ?

Alfie

• Experienced Member
    • Chester Vintage Enthusiasts Club
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 15:28 »
The Mantis is pretty bullet proof.
I'll send you a PM with the contact details of the company I bought mine from. They are a family run business and score a solid 10/10 for service, advice & generally being nice people. Give them a ring, explain your woes & I am sure Brian or his good lady will point you in the right direction. If you were closer i'd have popped round.
Graham

Behind every successful man stands a surprised mother-in-law

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 16:11 »
I know nothing about machines and I don't think hubby would be much better!

I'll ask my dad if he would have any ideas - he used to know his way round a car engine before they were all taken over by computers!!!!  :wink:
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

Gwiz

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 16:12 »
Oh dear. I am sorry to hear about this. :cry:
I will send you a pm with an option. :D

weeeed

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 17:28 »
The chap I got mine from has a stall at Walton Street market on wednesdays and he repairs and mantains machines as well. It's a hobby as well as a job for him. Take it with you but yoiu will be able to buy one from him for lots less than you paid. Good luck. :wink:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

crowndale

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 18:24 »
What's his name Jan?  And does the market run all day?  I have a regular commitment on a wednesday morning.

Graham and graham, I read your pms before the rest of this thread so I may reconsider what I pm'd back yet!

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 18:45 »
I was just going to ask the same... is he only there on Wednesdays?

My dad is after a meatier roto but doesn't want to pay the earth!

crowndale

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 19:49 »
I think weeed has gone to bed, or to look for her glasses!

weeeed

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 21:43 »
Quote from: "crowndale"
I think weeed has gone to bed, or to look for her glasses!
Nope still not found the glasses! Was looking for the chaps card. Can't find that either! Just goes to prove what a ditzy moo I am. Will get his details next time I go and send them on. Anyway I thought you had forgotten what sleep was. :wink:  :lol:

weeeed

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 12:33 »
Well still not found the b glasses however I do have the name and number for the chap,. Here goes.Paul's power tools. Number 01469 530102. I hope this helps you both. He's from Barton I think but gets around so who knows where you could find him. Sue, pretty please when you have time can you come and show how clever you are and do that Munty's frame for me :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :wink:

xx
Mantis tiller / Stihl multi-tool tiller/cultivator

Started by Turkey Jane on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post August 12, 2008, 12:10
by Percy
xx
merry tiller and mantis tiller - compare/contrast?

Started by mushroom on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 05:17
by Gwiz
xx
Mantis Tiller

Started by Faz on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 06:38
by Rangerkris
xx
mantis tiller

Started by beansticks on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post February 07, 2007, 07:52
by beansticks

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 36 queries.