Briggs & Stratton 5HP Carb Linkage Help needed

• 6 Replies

3pinplug

Briggs & Stratton 5HP Carb Linkage Help needed
« on: April 26, 2021, 13:45 »
Hallo
I have a 5HP briggs and stratton in my tiller, looking at the carb I am missing the linkage arm part that fits where the red circle is shown in the photo and is held in place by a screw. The carb linkage is controlled by a throttle cable on the handles.
Would anyone have a similar style setup and be able to send me a pic please of what the arm that fits there looks likje, there are 3 possible parts eveidently buit I don;t know which one I need. I believe the throttle cable and the governot arm will fit to it, but not 100% sure on that.
Its a Model 13202 0018-01, hoping someone can help with a pic as urgently looking to use it to get the spuds in!
Many thanks
Mark
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg

jezza

Re: Briggs & Stratton 5HP Carb Linkage Help needed
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 18:46 »
Hello first of all the carburetor needs fixing to the engine,that isn't where the throttle cable goes that's the governor either air or mechanical off the engine  which should be connected to the little plate with the hole in it via a short rod there should be a spring on it some where, I dont remember any thing fixed to that screw circled red ,,try R Tallerntine for more info   I may be wrong with mine ad it's a long time since I worked on the older Btiggd engines    jezza

3pinplug

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 10:54 »
Hi Jezza
Ok many thanks I will fit the governor there as suggested and carb is bolted ion now I just wasn;t at that stage when I took the pics.
Can I just check who R Tallertine is, a member of the forum or a shop etc?
thanks
mark

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 08:48 »
Your whole throttle/governor mechanism is a bit of a lash up. The throttle cable doesn't go there. Here is how it goes on Merry Tillers. Please note their attachment point for the "remote" throttle cable is also non standard. Briggs & Stratton made three different mounting points for throttle cables and Wolseley didn't use any of them, choosing the end of a generator throttle linkage instead. Can't see why there is an electrical connector on the carb body either.
Fig2.jpg
R Tallentire

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 09:15 »
Just found another pic of the governor mechanism, also shows B & S's idea of where the throttle cable should go under the fuel tank. Your machine will probably have those brackets for fitting it there.
Governor links.jpg

3pinplug

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 19:16 »
Hi all
Although mine has the briggs and stratton 5HP evidently it is not a 'merry tiller' it is a 'snapper tiller', so it looks like the throttle mechanism etc are different. Information appears very limited on snappers compared to Merry Tillers. The merry tiller mechanism (thank you for posting) is different to mine as my cable definitley fits to the side of the carb and doesn't run under the engine.
Thank you 'jezza' and 'R tallentire' for answering my post, much appreciated and hopefully now I have the right model it may all make sense. Would you have any info on the snapper tiller at all?

JGM

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 00:51 »
Hi Mark,

If you undo screw A, underneath it is a washer, and underneath that, a groove. Your throttle cable needs to sit in the groove. As you tighten screw A, the washer pinches the throttle cable in the groove, holds the throttle cable outer still, and allows the inner part to slide back and forth. There should be a mark on the cable where it has been attached before and 'squeezed' it. This would be a good place to start with, when re-attaching it. The cable needs to be in just the right place when you tighten screw A, so the movement of the throttle lever is allowed to have full effect on the carb. (This must be right for the engine to run properly)

Between the holes in the two parts marked B, there needs to be a solid wire. The part marked B on the left, is the part in the carb which, as it rotates back and forth, allows more or less air/fuel to the engine, increasing or decreasing engine speed. (This must be right for the engine to run properly)

Your model number indicates you should have a pneumatic govenor. This operates by the fins on the flywheel making a draught blowing against a vane (a flap) inside the flywheel housing (Faster engine speed, more draught) This vane is hinged and attached to a stiff wire. Having your flywheel cover off, will effect the proper functioning of the govenor. Part B on the right should attach (perhaps not directly but through a linkage) to a stiff wire coming from the govenor. That may be what is already attached in the photo.

The screw marked C, would secure a part (which as you say, is missing) which the throttle cable attaches to. This part also attaches to the part B on the right. It should also have a spring attached (or be linked to one) which balances the throttle cable movement. The thick wire that looks like a spoke probably attaches to this also. (This must all be right for the engine to run properly)

The electrical wire is almost certainly your engine stop wire. When it is earthed (touching a part connected to the metal body of the engine) the pulse of electricity produced by the coil goes to earth (and not the spark plug) so the engine stops or does not run). This is attached to a part which would either be: under the screw of part B on the right, or (more likely) on the missing part which should be on screw C. It works by: when you push the throttle all the way to 'Stop', you are pushing the throttle cable inner from left to right in the photo, and it will turn a part which then connects that stop wire to earth. (I'm not familiar with this make of rotavator, so there's a chance that this mechanism (which connects the wire to earth) might be in the actual throttle lever itself, or in a stop/go switch or key switch, and not on the carb). This is not essential for the engine to run properly, but without it you cannot turn off the engine, without shorting the top of the spark plug to earth or pulling the high tension lead off the spark plug (you will only do this once :lol:)

The thing in the background of your photo with a red circle, that looks like the end of the breather tube. Don't think it's attached to the screw, is it?

Briggs and Stratton had lots of different options and without having the machine in front of me it's hard to say more. It would have looked 'something like' the diagram attached. There is a Snapper tiller brochure for sale on ebay, where you can just make out the carb in a photo. ( https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153797633386?hash=item23cf0da56a:g:hbAAAOSwBQ1eH2j0 ) Hope that helps.
pic2.jpg
Clip.jpg
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 11:51 by JGM »

xx
help Looking for Briggs & Stratton flo-jet carb

Started by houseman on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post November 19, 2009, 16:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
Briggs and stratton

Started by Gerry Norris on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post March 03, 2015, 20:54
by jezza
xx
Briggs n stratton.

Started by denbo73 on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post February 14, 2007, 17:07
by Gwiz
xx
5HP Briggs and Stratton

Started by andygregs156 on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post January 20, 2012, 12:32
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 45 queries.