Sander recommendations please.

• 11 Replies

Goosegirl

Sander recommendations please.
« on: February 05, 2021, 16:08 »
I want to renovate my old inherited shed which was painted in some brown paint and quite a lot of it has come off. Inside the door and benches etc it also needs a good doing as there are old marks of paint spills and other stuff. If I were to get a sander to strip it back to the wood which one would you recommend?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jaydig

Re: Sander recommendations please.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 16:26 »
Goosy, the best sander is one with a man at the business end of it!   Good on you for wanting to do it yourself though.

Growing Weather

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 16:53 »
A cheap one from Lidls' middle if you can get one. or else Toolstation or Screwfix. I wouldn't want to fork out on a pricey one. Or are you looking at the battery powered type

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 15:10 »
Just an ordinary plug-in one. I'll have a look at Screwfix later today. Would an oblong one be better than a detail one with the pointed end?

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 14:05 »
Not sure how old the shed is that you are renovating, but a big concern is whether it is old enough that the paint may be lead-based? Your rules there may be different from here. The assumption here is that anything older than 1978 might have lead, and must be tested before renovation.  You can usually get a lead paint test kit through hardware stores, at least over here.

You can also just assume the paint contains lead as you renovate (again, different rules? ??? ?). Tarp the ground to catch as much falling paint chips and dust as possible. WEAR A PROPER DUST MASK AND EYE PROTECTION, recommendation goes for any paint, not just lead-containing. If soil around the shed looks like it has paint chips in it, I would scrape up the top couple inches to get rid of the lead risk. (Final time ... Check your local rules on disposal of lead-containing soil and renovation waste).

General sanding recommendations: use a stiff wire brush to remove the coarse chips and flakes. I recommend getting a1/4 sheet pad sander equipped with dust collection. Check online reviews for models that are reliable, easy to use.

Good luck with it, you can do it!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 14:07 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 14:12 »
Having just read Sub.Plot's comment I must admit I hadn't thought about lead content in paint, but it's something to seriously consider.   My father died from lead poisoning, many years ago, when I was jus eleven years old.  We had moved into a council property where the ceilings were painted with shell pink gloss paint, and my dad spent many hours sanding them down so that they could be painted white. His breathing in all of the dust caused lead poisoning and he died age 39.  Please be very careful GG, I'm not sure when Britain banned the use of lead in paint, but it's certainly worth checking.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 07:27 »
If it's a shed, GG, does it really need all that work? I'd possibly consider getting some new paint and just covering the whole lot! There's one called 'Ducksback' and is pretty good stuff!

Mind you, I can talk as our shed was in a right state a couple of years ago, so I just bought a load of feather -edge boarding, and covered it all up to look like new...

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 01:10 »
   My father died from lead poisoning, many years ago, when I was jus eleven years old.  We had moved into a council property where the ceilings were painted with shell pink gloss paint, and my dad spent many hours sanding them down so that they could be painted white. His breathing in all of the dust caused lead poisoning and he died age 39.

So sorry that happened to your father and your family.

Goose girl, stay healthy, stay safe!

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 16:01 »
Aw Growster, you do care after all!  :lol: The paint is really some cheap darkish brown preservative-type stuff which looks awful and no, it's not JUST a shed, it's MY shed where I'll have all my gardening stuff, tools, potting bench etc all set out in their places where I can find them, whereas at the moment it's still as we moved in where all sorts of stuff has been bunged in all over the place and I have to keep shifting things around before I can find anything. I quite fancy the Ducksback Moss Green but I'll have to remove the old paint or it'll show through. Jaydig, I do have a man who could but I usually do the wallpaper, decorating and painting so I'll crack on with it as one does.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 18:05 »
GG. you can see my shed any time you want!

In fact, the couour we bought was a bit garish at first but has weathered, (i.e.got dirty etc), and I quite like the 'warm' glow anyway!

Howsabout just getting a wire brush to the loose paint/bare patches, then doing two coats instead? I think Ducksback is a good name in shed stuff and so might do the job pretty damn well!

I'm only thinking of your delicate little hands...

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 13:58 »
Nice thought Mr G especially as Mr Arthur Ritus has kicked in big-time.  :( When I use my hands the knuckles get very stiff and my right index finger won't go down lower than the 10 to 12 position without some new swear words being created. I rather fancied a light sage green or a sea blue shade but will have another look once it's dried out.

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2021, 06:25 »
Good move, Goosey - nice colours!

I used the 'Autumn Gold', (a bit bright at first) on the new wood on the shed, but also covered a white-painted 'beehive' compost heap, whch a dear neighbour gave us - it was quite a few years old too, but the Cuprinol worked just fine!

Whenever I do any sanding, I just fix a sanding disc to the drill and gently stroke it all over the paint at an angle, until all the loose stuff has gone and leave it at that! Seems to work OK...

(I did buy a heat-paint-stripper years ago, for gloss paint, and it works incredibly well, but it's now usually by the open fire inside to get the flames going the next day)!

xx
Orbital sander

Started by Yorkie on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post May 12, 2011, 21:15
by Growster...
xx
Wheelbarrow recommendations

Started by Lee1978 on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post March 14, 2015, 20:51
by Lee1978
xx
6'x4' shed recommendations?

Started by andy_h on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post April 10, 2011, 09:52
by Elswhere
xx
Greenhouse recommendations

Started by thecakebaker on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post March 21, 2020, 00:34
by John

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 51 queries.