buying from Mantis in UK

• 5 Replies

Derek spud

buying from Mantis in UK
« on: April 30, 2020, 22:37 »
Beware if you think that you are buying from the good old UK Mantis when you put Mantis on your search engine. It will bring up an apparent UK site but which is actually French (probably since 2017). It even responds with an order acknowledgement from High Holborn St, London. It only becomes a problem when something goes wrong. I have bought a nice new 4 stroke tiller. Trouble is that it does not work. When I complained to the site that I thought was British, I got a we are busy, only one in the office plus a 2018 Christmas card. To make it worse they directed me to the new UK Agent, E.P.Barrus Ltd Garden Retail  e mail gardenretail@barrus.co.uk for service or my money back. Barrus were annoyed and very sick of getting such references (they have no responsibility for goods not supplied by them). Now we are ex EU and Consumer Rights etc do not apply from them to us how much worse will it get??

Growster...

Re: buying from Mantis in UK
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 06:03 »
Hi Derek! Welcome, by the way, but you might well be right in feeling a bit cheesed off!

As an old fan of Mantis, and because I've extolled the virtues of the kit for many years, maybe even helping others to make their minds up and get one, I've just been trying the links you mention, plus any emails from them. Pretty unhelpful aren't they! Some old links just don't work at all!

The last time they contacted me for any reason was December 2017 - they used to be in regular contact from 2013, (when I got a small one), trying to sell more stuff, and sometimes I took them up on something like a service etc. Nothing since!

It seems that Barrus aren't much more than agents for repair and service, but you already know this of course. As third parties, they also seem to do this for Wilkinson, Kawasaki and a couple more well-known names, so they must have got some agreement to actually do something, not palm you off as you have been!

This really isn't helpful, but as others may be in a similar position, it may just have to come down to you getting a credit card refund (?), or conducting a door-banging exercise on Barrus's website. I'd try both, but also, is a repair a possibility? Your blood pressure may go down a bit if you can at least get it mended! This site below seems to be working, but do you have a garden machinery firm nearby? https://mantis.uk.com/mantis-tiller-owners-faq/

Let us know how you get on - you shouldn't have this aggro after spending over the odds, chums here might be affected too and should be aware of all this, and I sympathise!

Best wishes!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 10:21 »
Mantis used to be great to deal with and great machines. Things went downhill when they changed engines to comply with EU emission & noise regulations. Then the separate UK firm vanished in favour of the French company.
However, we are currently in the EU until December 31 with all the rights and obligations.
I assume you bought online so have a number of protections under English and EU law. You also have protection from your credit card company, I think.
There's a lot on the net about card companies protecting you from defective goods - money saving expert is probably the best place to start looking for help on that.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

jezza

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 18:58 »
Hello have you checked that it is a genuine Mantis tiller as there's a company copying them in Asia and when a warranty claim is out in  the UK agents won't honour it check the serial numbe anything that had PRC in  it is a fake also ckeck make of engine if it's a 4 stroke engine it should be a Honda any thing else its a copy  I've seen one with no con rod in the engine just a piston   jezza

jezza

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 13:54 »
Hello I have recently spoken to a retired rep who worked for Mantis UK till they moved to France I mentioned that there was warranty problems he said that the company don't produce the machines them selves any more (they're only a trading company)the machines are out sourced from different component suppliers and built in either Vietnam or Tunisia then sold as Mantis through a wholesale dealer, the manufacturing companies sell as well in their own countries and if one if these has got through the system into the UK the wholesaler won't honour the warranties  jezza

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 14:04 »
I reckon mine will see me out, then a Daught can sell it on Ebay as an 'original'...

Shame to see a great name for such a great - but expensive - bit of kit go South (or East)...

xx
Mantis

Started by Steveharford on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post October 23, 2015, 20:57
by Growster...
question
Using a Mantis.

Started by out4nowt on Equipment Shed

32 Replies
Last post April 27, 2010, 15:35
by jimbeekeeper
xx
help with Mantis please.

Started by Spana on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post June 04, 2012, 22:47
by Spana
xx
Mantis

Started by Noddymac on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post May 01, 2010, 18:25
by Troopersnoots

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 45 queries.