Smaller wheelbarrow...

• 7 Replies

Growster...

Smaller wheelbarrow...
« on: October 21, 2015, 15:52 »
Mrs Growster has a bit of difficulty moving the large beast we have - a 'Fort' barrow, and we're on the lookout for a smaller one.

I used to have an old galvanised one, and gave it to SIL years ago (he still has it), but has anyone bought a nice Ladies' version barrow recently?

snow white

Re: Smaller wheelbarrow...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 19:28 »
there are plenty of small metal wheelbarrows about.  I have  a plastic one which is nice and light but still holds loads of stuff.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 04:46 »
As I seem to be developing into an old lady, my next barrow will be one of those garden carts with four wheels. My friend has one and it works well, I've had a bool around with it. I would post a link but I haven't figured out how to do that on the tablet yet.
Anne

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 11:46 »
As I seem to be developing into an old lady, my next barrow will be one of those garden carts with four wheels. My friend has one and it works well, I've had a bool around with it. I would post a link but I haven't figured out how to do that on the tablet yet.

Annen, ours came from Coopers of Stortford, and we use it for the heaviest stuff like logs or the mower  etc. Trouble is that we're a bit hilly round here, and it sometimes takes two of us to push/pull it...

http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/coopers-of-stortford-garden-cart-prodst05472i/

They do a lighter one though, which looks pretty good and also tips, and may be more suitable!

Where did you get yours, Snow White?

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 13:31 »

Annen, ours came from Coopers of Stortford, and we use it for the heaviest stuff like logs or the mower  etc. Trouble is that we're a bit hilly round here, and it sometimes takes two of us to push/pull it...

http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/coopers-of-stortford-garden-cart-prodst05472i/

They do a lighter one though, which looks pretty good and also tips, and may be more suitable!

Where did you get yours, Snow White?
I would think they are all going to be hard to push/pull up hills...unless they are empty of course  :nowink: . You need a one with a motor http://www.tooled-up.com/product/handy-thlc09715-petrol-mini-transporter-300kg-load-capacity-with-900-series-briggs-stratton-engine/206579/?Referrer=googleproductlisting&gclid=Cj0KEQjwkqKxBRCIrK_riNm13Z8BEiQAdzdVkDBK9S1n-JZv_dtmNn2pzYgfgrPEYmrFFdo6RWWdHc8aAsJF8P8HAQ#prettyPhoto

I'm looking at the lighter one, Aldi had them on offer for about £30 last year so I'm waiting for it to come up again this year.

snow white

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 21:56 »
I got mine in a local diy store in Halesworth Suffolk called Coopers.  It was £40.  I have had it for three years now.  I like the fact that it is light when empty, but is still sturdy and capacious.  I leave it outside with no problems.  It came in a box but I can not remember the name of the manufacturer.  I think it is a case of looking at various ones and seeing how heavy they are.

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 09:45 »
We have a terraced wall in the garden and the gaps at the top of the steps are just wide enough for one of those small barrows to pass through. A few years back, when our Beldray barrow died (after about 20 years), I needed one the same size. Checked B & Q, nothing but nasty canvas "folding" wheelbarrows. Checked Willco, one almost exactly like the one we'd had, except it wasn't a flat pack, only £14. How to get it to the car, Willco Lancaster is right in the Town centre, and though there is "on street" parking close, your chances of getting a place is negligible. Oh well, too cheap to miss. I wheeled it to the till "£7 please",  said the operator, "end of season sale. All garden items half price." I then had to wheel it right through the Town Centre to the car, got lots of stares from passers by, but a decent zinc plated barrow for £7, it was worth the embarrassment.
R Tallentire

grendel

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 12:11 »
I built my own barrow from a sheet of ply and 4 big 6" wheels, 2 fixed and 2 steering - similar to the wheels on a big B7Q flat trolley, pull along was by a handle mounted on an upside down caster (smaller) with the wheel removed and a stick replacing it, at the top of the stick an 8" coach bolt provided the handle, it worked well for years until the plywood base rotted, I still have the wheels and must remake it some day, used to follow me around like a puppy, even with half a dozen paving slabs loaded on.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

xx
Wheelbarrow

Started by Scribbler on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post March 14, 2008, 16:46
by Trillium
xx
wheelbarrow

Started by Snap Dragon on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post May 17, 2008, 18:08
by Gwiz
xx
I need a new wheelbarrow

Started by Lesleyk on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post January 19, 2013, 13:36
by Gwiz
xx
Wheelbarrow Inner Tubes

Started by plot6b on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 20:31
by plot6b

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 34 queries.