bottles tomato sauce for cooking

• 3 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
bottles tomato sauce for cooking
« on: September 08, 2013, 13:38 »
I am going to make some tomato based sauces to bottle and keep for using with pasta, cooking curries etc and have read up a lot about this as I haven't bottled anything for about 30 years.

I have two question that I hope recently experienced bottlers can help me with please, as there seems to be contradictory advice about these:

- When I put the filled jars in the water bath, how tightly should the screw lids be on?

-  How far up the filled bottles should the water be?

Thank you in advance for your assistance in me avoiding botulism  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: bottles tomato sauce for cooking
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 13:45 »
I hand tighten lids, just as you would for jam, to make sure no water can get in whilst they're boiling - I have my water up to about 3/4inch below the lids, this allows the water to bubble up without going over the tops  ;)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 16:08 »
I only had a shallowish pan when I did my bottles so I lay them down under water. Saw this on youtube American. There is a lot on there, so I used a combination of that and books and chose what I wanted to do. Not very scientific but seems to have worked in the main. I have a hundred or so bottles with allsorts in, and only one batch seems to have not worked, no idea why but it was some that I did when I was very tired and probably tried to rush them. ::) Lucky they were in the cellar when the lids exploded off! :ohmy: But they were the clamp on lids not screw tops.

I have now invested in a huge enamel pan and everything gets submerged. I use it on a large gas ring in the garden! :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 18:12 »
Thanks you two. I appreciate your advice.

I have collected lots of Loyd Grosman bottles as they are exactly the right size for a meal base for us, and they fit in my maslin pan on a wooden trivet arrangement I have made with headroom for them to only just be covered by the water, and I would feel happier if it was just below the top, like MoS said, as otherwise it might bubble over.

Tomorrow is the day now as time at the plot ran away with me. Tomatoes are skinned and chopped, peppers are sliced very fine, chillis, coriander leaves and onions need to be prepped and then....... I shall create lovely juicy sauce for the winter -- batch one with green chilli.

Batch 2 to follow with yellow and orange tomatoes if I have enough, plus some fennel and no peppers.

Quite excited  :lol:

xx
Tomato/Pasta Sauce

Started by Reidragon on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

31 Replies
Last post August 25, 2007, 07:47
by allotmentnut
xx
Green tomato pasta sauce?

Started by VeggieVirgin on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post August 31, 2011, 19:13
by sunshineband
xx
Polpettone (Italian Meat Loaf) cooked in tomato sauce

Started by mumofstig on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post May 20, 2012, 18:52
by chrissie B
xx
Tom sauce

Started by sclarke624 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post September 10, 2009, 22:51
by tode

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 39 queries.