Is it feasible to build a shed from scratch ?

• 11 Replies

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
Is it feasible to build a shed from scratch ?
« on: March 05, 2019, 18:19 »
Having just got an allotment I'll obviously need a shed .. where else could I have a cuppa if it rains

I have had a quick look at the DIY stores for sheds and to be perfectly honest most look pretty flimsy. There is one good supplier near me and their 6x4 shed is £420 but this is good quality. A pent style shed is £4 cheaper than the normal apex type. I'll probably opt for this

However, I was wondering whether it is actually feasible to make one from scratch. I'm not a joiner, an do a bit of DIY'ing. Surely it isn't too difficult.

OK, I haven't done the economics, but I would think you could probably get a good quality shed for the same price as one of the cheapie store bought ones.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Is it feasible to build a shed from scratch ?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 18:38 »
Definitely do-able! A little Googling will find tons of free plans to help covering a huge variety of shed types. Providing you already have the tools the cost of the materials will easily be cheaper than buying a pre-fab shed.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 19:08 »
Several folk on our site have made sheds from scratch, mainly using reclaimed wood from pallets to cover the framing. A wrecking bar is invaluable if you are going to attempt this.

They are very sturdy indeed
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

TonyB.

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 19:51 »
Just checked b&Q less than £10 per sq metre for half inch exterior plywood. I get confused by sizes in mm but if they come in 8ft x 4ft boards I recon for 8ft x 6ft shed would need 10 boards for floor roof and sides. I think each board is 2.4 sq m by 10 = 24 sqm by £10 = £240. Add hinges locks and felt and you would have a very solid shed.

Drat! Wish I had thought of it.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 20:02 »
Someone built a shed on our site like this ....pallet shed build

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 20:08 »
I think each board is 2.4 sq m by 10 = 24 sqm by £10 = £240. Add hinges locks and felt and you would have a very solid shed.

No internal framework?  it will end in tears. For the plot a cheap "diy shed" job is easiest, a second hand one if you can find one to fix up is always better. I wouldn't waste money on a plot shed.

johnjsdb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 15:47 »
You may also want to look for anyone replacing their double glazed windows, I got 2 from a mate and used them to create a semi greenhouse where I can grow seedlings.

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 17:58 »
 that pallet shed looks very good even better if the pallets are free it just means taking them apart with care I built three sheds for our logs what they call sentry boxes with pallets saved £100 each shed

also you could ask on line if someone is selling a second hand shed locally or do you have re-claim building place  near you sometimes builders sheds come available

I don't know how particular your allotment landlord is about sheds they banned them from our allotments and we are only just got  the go ahead to put mini poly tunnels on our plots

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 22:42 »
Me and my dad built a shed on his plot once, from wood taken from a large collapsed shed, and two old wooden front doors banged sideways onto a frame, on top of the ground. We even reused nails where we could, hammering them straight and knocking them in. The roof was made of sheets of corrugated metal salvaged from old hospital beds.

It weighs so much it hasn't moved an inch in 13 years despite being on an exposed windy site on a hill in Yorkshire... build your own and to heck with the rules, it might not look the prettiest shed on the site but it will be yours.

rowlandwells

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 08:32 »
I've tried that one DHM heck the rules I could have quite easy built a tin shed like you suggest but it was made quite clear to me if you wish to build a shed then your allotment contract or agreement will be terminated forthwith in other words your out

that's the rules of our landlord non negatable i know some allotment landlords or councils  have strict rules about erecting sheds and  tin sheds where one of the reasons our landlord banned sheds because they said they where an eyesore although we did press for a communal shed that was vandalised so much it had to be  removed never to return

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 19:16 »
I've tried that one DHM heck the rules I could have quite easy built a tin shed like you suggest but it was made quite clear to me if you wish to build a shed then your allotment contract or agreement will be terminated forthwith in other words your out

that's the rules of our landlord non negatable i know some allotment landlords or councils  have strict rules about erecting sheds and  tin sheds where one of the reasons our landlord banned sheds because they said they where an eyesore although we did press for a communal shed that was vandalised so much it had to be  removed never to return

To clarify, by rules I meant the accepted rules of 'ordinary' shed building, not the site rules. Sorry I was a bit vague on that. The thing I built with my dad did meet the rules of height and spread and despite the back being two old front doors it did and still does look pretty good to be honest. He's on a small site where the look of the shed isn't important, rather it's low, strong and safe. It passed inspection and is often the only shed left on site following each gale that hits

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 08:33 »
We have a number of sheds on our site which are “homemade”. One near us has just been finished and it’s got a veranda with a balustrade. I do believe it is a pallet structure coverered in some sort of timber. Door and window are ex double glazing units. I might try and get a picture. It’s fab. On the other hand our site manager has had to ask for one or two dangerous structures to be demolished in the past .  Takes all sorts.

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 51 queries.