leggy roses

• 9 Replies

chrissie B

leggy roses
« on: July 22, 2010, 19:13 »
hi all just want to know if its ok to lower my roses they are growing very leggy some are so tall i carnt dead head them, hoping for a quick answer.
all the best
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Trillium

Re: leggy roses
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 20:14 »
Definitely prune leggy roses. Try to cut them just above a 'leaf joint' bit so they'll send out side shoots.

chrissie B

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 07:08 »
thanks Trillium, i thought i would be able to but didnt want to go hacking away without an expert word , will do that today .
i have to say since ive slowed down on the watering the blooms have stayed longer on the bush they are still getting yellow leaves which look awful .
thanks again
chrissie b

Babstreefern

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 08:42 »
That's ok for the short term, but am I correct that they haven't been pruned in recent years?  Do this in November, and cut down so the stems are about 3 to 4 inches above the crown, and you should see a definite improvement next year.  Also, cut out any suckers you may have.  These are light green, and have seven leaves instead of 5.  Follow the sucker stem until you hit the main root, and cut it out.
Babs

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 17:23 »
Chrissie, you can still give your roses one last feed this year, now, and it should help sort out those yellowing leaves. The legginess can be pruned now but after they go dormant do as Babs suggest, a good overall pruning to rejuvenate the whole bush.

chrissie B

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 19:49 »
i cut them back at the end of each year before it gets cold but in the spring they shoot away like mad , had loads of roses this year even on the stick ones i did from last years prunings , i will feed tomorrow cut them back thismorning we cut 2, 3 feet off and left them at bust hight so they lok alot more tidy now .
thanks again
chrissie b

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 16:31 »
My roses this year have been remarkably leggy with longer shoots that I've ever seen. With the winds and rain we eventually had (after the hosepipe ban of course) they flopped down all over my lawn. I've just deadheaded a semi-circle of Felicia and they bounced up and should produce some late flowers. Will prune off more top growth in autumn then give them a proper prune in Feb/March.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

chrissie B

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 07:36 »
the roses have been pruned back for couple of weeks now and they look much happier and are staarting to produce new shoots already so im happy with that , thanks all
chrissie b

mobilekat

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 21:22 »
Good to hear- I always feel guilty for pruning, but its good to see how much better they look after it.
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 09:52 »
Do you know the variety. Some Hybrid Tea types, such as Queen Elizabeth, are naturally tall and there is little you can do.

xx
Leggy roses

Started by tallulah on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post November 18, 2008, 16:11
by DIGGER
xx
roses

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post August 22, 2012, 19:19
by mumofstig
xx
Roses

Started by Phoenix on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2006, 19:38
by becky
xx
Roses

Started by black diamond on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post February 16, 2011, 20:53
by Junie

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 38 queries.