Leggy roses

• 10 Replies

tallulah

Leggy roses
« on: November 17, 2008, 14:56 »
I planted 3 rose bushes last year, and hoped that this year they'd be covered in roses - did everything I should have I think.  But they were very frugal with their blooms, and hardly any leaves either.  They grew tallish and I supported them with bamboo canes, but really they became just a twiggy mess.  Any ideas as to how I can encourage more leaf and flower growth?  And should I prune them right down, or leave them?  Any advice welcome!

compostqueen

Leggy roses
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 16:17 »
It would help if you knew what type of roses you'd got. Have they got labels? That would be a start. If you're not sure, and they seem lanky or leggy I'd just prune them gently, just to get rid of any dead or diseased or crossover branches and pull off any suckers.  Roses are heavy feeders and do like generous dollops of manure round them during the growing season.  

If you planted them presumably you'll know if they're climbers etc  :D

mrs bouquet

Leggy roses
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 16:40 »
Hi there, I agree with Compostqueen, if you could find out if they a hybrid Tea of floribunda, if they are hybrids you can prune them down much lower.  I am sure you have done the right things, but it has been a wet summer for roses.  Next year when they have settled in, I am sure they will be lovely, but they are heavy feeders (I use Multirose and chicken pellets) and you will get out what you put in.  Good luck, Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Leggy roses
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 16:59 »
Don't know too much about roses apart from hybrids do need a good pruning.

My grandfather's method was at this time of year to cut half way down to reduce the risk of loosening the roots with wind rocking the plant, and in early spring to prune right down to the lowest outward facing bud.

Leaving the final pruning to early spring reduced the risk of disease getting into the cut.

All dead wood and crossed over shoots had to go as well.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

tallulah

Leggy roses
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 17:28 »
One is an Iceberg and the others are Felicia - a 4 ft shrub hybrid rose I believe.  What I do know is that all the pictures I've seen of these are magnificent!  The felicia is meant to be really profuse.  I'd manured them and given them rose food, and thought that they'd had plenty of feeding.  Maybe I didn't feed enough, but didn't want to overdo it.

mrs bouquet

Leggy roses
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 17:50 »
Quote from: "DD."
Don't know too much about roses apart from hybrids do need a good pruning.

My grandfather's method was at this time of year to cut half way down to reduce the risk of loosening the roots with wind rocking the plant, and in early spring to prune right down to the lowest outward facing bud.

Leaving the final pruning to early spring reduced the risk of disease getting into the cut.

All dead wood and crossed over shoots had to go as well.

DD. thats exactly what I do, and my grandfather taught me that method, when I was under 10 years, and watching him do it, and envitably asking him loads of  "why grandad do you do that" questions.  So it seems the old way is the best !!  Mrs Bouquet

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Leggy roses
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 18:07 »
Quote from: "tallulah"
One is an Iceberg and the others are Felicia - a 4 ft shrub hybrid rose I believe.  What I do know is that all the pictures I've seen of these are magnificent!  The felicia is meant to be really profuse.  I'd manured them and given them rose food, and thought that they'd had plenty of feeding.  Maybe I didn't feed enough, but didn't want to overdo it.

Is it possible you overdid it?

tallulah

Leggy roses
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 18:25 »
Is it possible you overdid it?[/quote]

Possible but I don't think so - was careful about that!

gobs

Leggy roses
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 21:13 »
I don't know Felicia, but Iceberg is a natural 'twiggy mess' of growth habit. :lol:  And it does better with less pruning. Loads of food and sunshine for roses to good flowering and growth.

Leaflessness is another issue, possibly. If with leggyness than probably not enough light and sunshine. Otherwise a lot of rose diseases can lead to severe or almost complete defoliation, amongst them, serious black spot, which is as common for roses as it can get.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

tallulah

Leggy roses
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 11:21 »
Thanks for all your responses!  I shall allow them to live another year!

DIGGER

Leggy roses
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 16:11 »
I feel that i should follow this advise,but i still have some a number of bright yellow roses and some new buds.

xx
leggy roses

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 09:52
by Salmo
xx
Roses

Started by Novice on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post September 16, 2006, 09:47
by chutneymaster
xx
Roses

Started by AlaninCarlisle on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post September 25, 2012, 19:10
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Roses

Started by clarebear on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 12, 2008, 11:44
by clarebear

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 35 queries.