Marrow Rum

• 6 Replies

commerlad

Marrow Rum
« on: March 30, 2008, 22:43 »
Anybody heard of this and whats the way to make it, Or am I being wound up (even if I did not get put forward 1 hour this morning)?
Sometimes I think laterally but then I have to get up!

Leaf

• Experienced Member
Marrow Rum
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 22:45 »
somthing about hollowing out, filling with sugar and catching the drips??
seen it on t.v
we can plant a house, we can build a tree

Leaf

• Experienced Member
Marrow Rum
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 22:48 »
found this

Prizewinning or Runner Up (big) marrow with seeds removed, packed with brown sugar, juice of an orange squeezed in and teaspoon of dried yeast - put top of marrow back on (tape works). I've heard of some people adding root ginger, but I didn't find it needed it. Hang/rest in a bowl in a warm place and forget it for three or four weeks - this part takes longer than you think it should. Only when you get really convincing signs that the bottom is about to fall out is it ready to go to the next stage.

Be ready for sticky mess and catch as much juice as poss. Cut off base of marrow and get as much of the sugar/marrow mix into a bowl as you can. It gives off an interesting scent at this point, not offensive but curiously non alcoholic. Sieve and funnel into demi-john, you can mash it a bit to get as much of the marrow flesh in as poss. Top the demi-john up to about three quarters full with cooled boiled water - barely luke-warm if you are in a hurry. Add another teaspoon of dried yeast and juice of half an orange, bung it with a wine making airlock and put it at the back of an airing cupboard where you forget for weeks at a time, but its always warm and snug. Isn't it great, such fab wine making and half the art is in leaving it to do its own thing for the most part!

In a year's time you should have about five pints of golden liquer-type rum, ready to filter off from the rubbish at the bottom. For extra points in style and irony invite your cycnical friends to dinner with stuffed marrow in the main course and serve the rum afterwards in pretty small glasses - half a wine glass will do most people - and gain a reputation for King/Queen of Marrows (use of, not necessarily growing!). If they drink more than a glass full you'll probably have legendary folk songs telling the tale of your success, but record it, 'cos no one will be able to recall it the next day!

commerlad

Marrow Rum
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 22:51 »
All I can say is CHEERS for the answer!

Nikkithefoot

Marrow Rum
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 23:34 »
Thnks for that leaf, been looking for a marrow rum recipe for yonks, now all I need is the marrow :)
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Scribbler

Marrow Rum
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 08:20 »
Strongly recomend you go for this, even though it is potentially messy. It tastes absolutely fantastic!
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Marrow Rum
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 16:26 »
Try sloe gin

or damson vodka as well
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

xx
Marrow Rum.

Started by Capt Zero on Homebrew

15 Replies
Last post August 11, 2013, 05:52
by Capt Zero
xx
Marrow

Started by colin120 on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2014, 08:03
by jay001
xx
Marrow Rum

Started by odd shapped veg on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 20:53
by Leaf
xx
MARROW WINE

Started by yamandmole on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post September 02, 2011, 17:53
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 38 queries.