rain, rain glorious rain!

• 27 Replies

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 03:50 »
looking at the news this eveing i feel wiltshire got away with most of it.altghough we had the rain we havnt had the flooding problems as bad..

its not raining at the moment bit windy though this is the weather i would expect in oct :?

Sven The Swede

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 05:48 »
www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=2840

this is my area's predicted weather forecast for next 5 day dont like the next 3 night evening temps at my allotment area it is in a dip of a valley and open so we have to take at least 3/4 degrees of the min temp. I know it will not go below freezing but it worries me that june 26 temp can drop this low at night.

veg will be allright but these low temp cant do them any good :?
I CAME LATE TO THIS GAME, BUT IT'S IN THE BLOOD. I TRY TO BE ORGANIC BUT SORRY HAVE TO USE THE SLUG PELLETS.

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 07:14 »
our site is flooded,so everything will probably be ruined :( nearby houses have been evacuated to a sports centre in wakefield.my friends house is over a foot deep in water so i guess i should be thankful that at least my home is ok :(

crowndale

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 08:42 »
we were really lucky, my next door neighbours got their house flooded and my garden was completely under water with about half a brick left eventually before the waters would have made it into the house.  Looked out this morning and you'd not know we'd been under water yesterday!  The garden is still half under water though and will be a while before it is back to any semblance of normal, need to go out later and scoop out the worst of the wet to stop anymore soaking into the ground.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Annie

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 16:15 »
We were camping at the weekend but decided to return yesterday,good job really as we would have been hard pushed to find open roads today,getting to work tomorrow should be interesting if the rivers don`t go down and I can`t get to any petrol stations so all spare cans have been put in!
  Love from Tenbury(currently under Teme)!

iamnew

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2007, 18:20 »
Well my lottie i'm assuming is under water! All the roads are closed into the village. I live in rotherham 2 min from sheffield lucky me!  :? My hubbie was one of the ones stuck at work yesterday, got home at 6.30am. My lottie is down the hill from the ulley res which has  been on tele on the news all day. So glad it's not burst the dam walls, as i think my veg will have been washed away :shock: All the village has been evacuated and i cant get anywhere near lottie! Oh well thats life! :wink: At least my home's not flooded! yet lol :lol:
Try to be organic when possible!!

Annie

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2007, 22:43 »
All sympathy with you,at least we know what is happening here.As someone born and bred in Sheffield luckily all family there have not,yet had their houses flooded.The river in Tenbury has gone down today and clearing out the mud and pumping out the cellars is ongoing but the ordinary houses behind the high street have the untold stories and not all have insurance,there`s a lot of the War time spirit about though.I can`t moan about the veg. when I look around and see what is happening to other peoples lives.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2007, 23:13 »
there`s a lot of the War time spirit about though.I can`t moan about the veg. when I look around and see what is happening to other peoples lives.

I totally agree thats theres more to life than the veggie patch, but I bet theres still plenty of old timers who remember worrying about their veg patches back in the war days  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Annie

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2007, 00:05 »
I know what you mean but having your house and garden under a meter of water/sewage puts things into perspective,and if it`s a buisness that your family depend on .....well.I`m just grateful that I live on a slope.,and if  things aren`t doing well on the patch then at least continuing to by local veg.will help the local traders who are no doubt going to have a hard time.

Beanzie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2007, 01:57 »
Good time to mulch whilst the soil is fully charged with moisture :D
Ah well ! There is always next year !

crowndale

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2007, 08:40 »
Quote from: "Beanzie"
Good time to mulch whilst the soil is fully charged with moisture :D

Yeah!  But with another 50mm of rain predicted for this weekend and the ground already saturated where will the mulsh end up?!! :wink:

sweet nasturtium

Rain
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2007, 23:20 »
What should I be doing in this weather?  Any ideas?  Apart from swimming with ducks?
How does excessive rain affect the plants - is there anything I should be feeding them with?
All suggestions welcome.

digger1957

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2007, 09:43 »
Hey up - it's stopped raining and the sun's come out. What's going on:?:

xx
RAIN RAIN AND VEGETABLES

Started by duncan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 23, 2007, 22:36
by Annie
xx
Rain' Rain ' Rain

Started by clive f on Grow Your Own

41 Replies
Last post March 04, 2007, 18:00
by ziggywigs
xx
Rain...

Started by Paulj on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 29, 2012, 19:29
by starry
xx
Rain at last!

Started by DHM on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 10, 2018, 13:34
by al78

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 38 queries.