newbie question.

• 6 Replies

saggy

newbie question.
« on: September 13, 2009, 08:37 »
Hi all, I have not had alot of time this year to put into the allotment this first year with trying to get the soil in better condition and trying my hardest to get rid of bind weed. I have had some great onions/runners/french beans/broad beans/carrots/spuds/rasberrys and rhubarb this year but now the allotment is looking pretty bare as not got around to planting anything over the winter months and to be honest not knowing what to plant. is there anything that can be going in now to slow grow over the winter months or is it just a case of getting ready for next year? my dad mentioned something about garlic???

any advice welcome :)

martin

Yabba

Re: newbie question.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 08:43 »
See if this helps @link growing month by month

¥

Ourveggiepatch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 08:52 »
Good morning

I will be putting in Broad Beans, garlic and onions within the next few weeks if that helps.

OVP

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 08:53 »

You can plant garlic, onions, spring cabbage, broad beans to grow through the winter but as it is your first year I would keep it clear for the winter and concentrate on digging the soil really nicely and incorporating organic matter as you do so.

If you do decide to plant spring cabbage plants need to be planted soon now and will mature in April, but garlic, onions and broad beans are better to wait until the middle of October so that they just make a little root before shutting down for the winter.

roadiesean

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 13:00 »
I am also a newby and also from Herts Saggy ! (Harpenden)  ;) Hi !!

I am a non-gardener but we've moved to a farm (not as farmers just tenants) and I have a massive and terrific house veggie garden that I have dug over and got some terrific tomatoes, potatoes, courgettes and the odd cucumber - yes the huge 40 x 40' garden was a bit sparce ! But the veg was great.

Being on a farm, I have access to tons of manure and stuff around the place, but to be honest I am such a no-hoper, I have no idea even what I am supposed to do with the manure, do I collect it from the fields (the cows are in paddocks from time to time - not always and we don't have barns here) and how should I best use what I can get on my patch to get a good crop next year, I'm not going to do anything with it over winter and I haven't a greenhouse (haven't really got a greenfinger actually !)

Any hints would be absolutely brilliant, I am a bit stuck actually !

Many thanks
Sean

chili

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 16:29 »
Good morning

I will be putting in Broad Beans, garlic and onions within the next few weeks if that helps.

OVP

will that be plants or seed? with regard to the broad beans....sorry am a newbie too

Ourveggiepatch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 19:16 »
Hi

Thats ok.

Broad Bean seed, garlic and onion sets.

OVP

xx
A Newbie question

Started by drippin on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 19:35
by Trillium
xx
Newbie question.

Started by Digger Tom on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 14, 2010, 13:06
by JayG
xx
Newbie question

Started by Judithm on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 27, 2013, 19:55
by gremlin
xx
Newbie Question.

Started by Lenny B on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 28, 2008, 12:05
by LivvyW

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 28 queries.