Tomato Recommendations

• 44 Replies

snowdrops

Re: Tomato Recommendations
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 07:26 »
100s&1000s are lovely. A bit of a pain to pick, but lovely to eat. (again, thanks Cadders!)

I can vouch for theses too,thanks Surbie as I had the seed from you & so I suppose thanks to Cadalot as it sounds that's where they originated from. Lovely sweet little toms,funny straggly plant,amazing how they produced so many fruits with so little leaves etc.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 07:30 »
We grow Sungold and Gardener's Delight for the titches, and Marmande, Black Krim and Gourmet for the bigger ones - both inside and outside!

This year, we're losing quite a lot to splitting, because of the rain, but this affects the small ones much more than the bigguns... (One Black Krim weighed 13 oz and for once, is a perfect shape - the rest are ugly brutes but taste marvellous)!

Next year, we'll go for Shirley, Sungold and perhaps Tigerella at home, with the other bigguns down on The Patch where they can frighten the badgers,,,

cadalot

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 07:43 »
Thanks guys - last year my little space saver greenhouse had two packs i.e. 14 plants of 100's & 1000's in it the other two went to my daughter Emma's nursery where she works as they are ideal for little children to grow harvest and then eat like little healthy sweets. What gets me is that if you didn't get the seed in the Wyevale 50p sale they charged £3.69 for 8 seeds that 46p a seed and just crazy.   

Emma was quite upset that I only grew a couple of 100s & 1000's this year. I'm really impressed with the Red Robin's this year, they are still going strong in the greenhouse and I'm on my last batch of seed drying before filling the zippy bags ready for this years submission to the seed circle.

I'm not over fond of the Gartenperle that is my other submission for this year and will more than likely not be growing them again.  It will be interesting to see what others make of Red Robin & Gartenperle next year.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 07:58 by cadalot »

Max4

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 07:55 »
Thanks everyone, lots to think about. At least I have some time :)

8doubles

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 08:04 »
Gardeners Delight is my choice if i could only grow one variety, it has never failed me !

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 09:42 »
100s&1000s are lovely. A bit of a pain to pick, but lovely to eat. (again, thanks Cadders!)

I can vouch for theses too,thanks Surbie as I had the seed from you & so I suppose thanks to Cadalot as it sounds that's where they originated from. Lovely sweet little toms,funny straggly plant,amazing how they produced so many fruits with so little leaves etc.

I've grown them for a few years Snowy and saved seed from them, so they would have come from that set. I think I sent you some of my last ones and I got new ones from Cadalot. Any spares from the circle went into the Pass the Parcel whenever that came my way.

I'm not over fond of the Gartenperle that is my other submission for this year and will more than likely not be growing them again.  It will be interesting to see what others make of Red Robin & Gartenperle next year.

I know others like it, but I'm not a big fan of Gartenpearl either. When I grew them they were a bit flavourless, though possibly that was due to my treatment of them. Looking forward to Red Robin though.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 09:45 by surbie100 »

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 10:41 »
Another one for black cherry - its is a sweet tom (don't know what your taste preferences are). Fox cherry is a large cherry and great as a salad tom/ allrounder. Northern delight is another nice large cherry a touch on the acid side which is a good salad/ allrounder but it is a bush tom.

cadalot

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 11:35 »
I'm assuming that  Gartenperle  and Garden Pearl are in fact the same beast only one is German of Dutch in Origin ?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2015, 12:07 »
I've always thought they were the same Cadalot - perhaps the English translation is to help those who struggle with German pronunciation!   :unsure:

Grew them once, thought they were a bit 'woolly' and lacking in flavour, but it could have been unfavourable growing conditions that year, or just down to me (the 'billions of flies can't all be wrong' theory!  ;))
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2015, 13:39 »
I agree Gartenperle (aka Garden Pearl  :lol: ) isn't brilliant (but better than supermarket toms, I think) but it produces the earliest ripe tomatoes, for me, after a January sowing.

Once the other cherries start ripening, I ditch the GPs  ;)

cadalot

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2015, 13:44 »
True they were the first to ripen  :nowink:

Growster...

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2015, 17:47 »
Sungold get cracking pretty early as well, especially in the greenhouse!

By now, they're all splitting and only good for passata, but so what - we love passata!

Headgardener22

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2015, 22:22 »
Garden Pearl and 100's & 1000's are both determinate varieties and we were asked for indeterminate suggestions.

The earliest indeterminate that I've grown over the oast few years has regularly been blooody butcher.

Eblana

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2015, 10:16 »
Garden Pearl and 100's & 1000's are both determinate varieties and we were asked for indeterminate suggestions.

The earliest indeterminate that I've grown over the oast few years has regularly been blooody butcher.

Can you explain what a determinate variety and an indeterminate variety is please, I have seen this mentioned before on seed packets but have no idea what it means.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2015, 10:20 »

The OP also asked for golfball sized fruits, so this one might be a little too big to suit their purposes.

Can you explain what a determinate variety and an indeterminate variety is please, I have seen this mentioned before on seed packets but have no idea what it means.

Its just another way of saying bush tomatoes or vine tomatoes Eblana.  You let the determinate grow as they wish and don't pinch the side shoots out.  Indeterminates are grown as a single stem vine up a cane, or twin stems up 2 canes if you like  :)

xx
recommendations for tomato varieties

Started by chimaera on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 02, 2010, 17:21
by Foghorn-Leghorn
xx
recommendations for what tomato feed.

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 10:14
by Stree
xx
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Recommendations?

Started by Auntiemogs on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 18, 2019, 16:56
by Auntiemogs
xx
Garlic - Any Recommendations

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post August 02, 2010, 16:16
by AndyRVTR

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 33 queries.