Soil in raised beds

• 6 Replies

gwltabb

Soil in raised beds
« on: March 08, 2010, 20:58 »
Hi,

firstly being a newbie to the veg growing world, this forum has already given me so much information, just need the weather to warm up now so I can put some of it into practice!

I took up a load of paving slabs, and have created two raised beds approx 6x4ft. The soil underneath was quite heavy clay, a few stones in it put nothing too bad. I forked this and have then filled the raised beds with approx 1/4 manure, 1/2 standard compost and 1/4 peat-free compost, and have continually dug this in.

After reading about it some more (maybe I should have done that before buying the soil!), I think I may have needed to add some stanard top-soil in with the compost/manure as this current mix is not great for sowing.

I just wondered what you guys think? Do I need to add some top-soil or should I just keep turning it over for the next couple of weeks to mix some of the clay in as well? If I do need the top-soil, should I just add this to the top and not dig it in for sowing?

Thanks in advance!

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
Re: Soil in raised beds
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 21:44 »
Is the manure well rotted? Sounds like quite a rich mix to me, great for spuds but not so good for root crops. What do you intend to grow in these beds?
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

gwltabb

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 21:56 »
Yes the manure was well rotted, and was probably less than 1/4 of the total in reality, I didn't add that much. I was planning on some spuds but also some root veg (carrots, parsnips, raddish), so I'm guessing I need to diulte the compost somewhat?

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 21:59 »
carrots do like a light but poor soil, then they grow straight n long. Otherwise they fork. Spuds n radish should be ok

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 08:33 »
Sharp sand for the carrots especially as you have clay soil.

I wonder if making a "planting-tube" (with a bulb planter, or similar) into which you put half-compost half-sharp sand would then negate the manure in the vicinity? then sow a small pinch of seed in each, and thin once they have come up

The sharp sand would mix in with the clay over time to improve the clay (it will need 3" or 4" overall and over time ... but planting-holes would localise it for the plants and have the effect over several years.

What do others think?

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 08:53 »
I think that is a good idea, worth a go  :)

gwltabb

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 17:39 »
Thanks for the replies guys, Im willing to give Kirstens suggestion a go, however I'm thinking I might be able to get the same effect by shifting some of the current mix from 1 of the beds into the other (there is still a couple of inch height left in each bed) and use this for non root veg like lettuce, potatoes etc. Which leaves more room in the other bed to put topsoil and sharp sand in for the root veg. What do you think?

xx
top soil for raised beds

Started by gidster on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 23:01
by Robin Redbreast
xx
Top Soil for raised beds

Started by mad mark on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 02, 2009, 20:40
by Jay Dubya
xx
Top soil for raised veg beds

Started by Pavlodge on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 29, 2013, 17:37
by Jamrock
xx
Ants in soil/raised beds

Started by logi06 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 07, 2021, 14:17
by Gasman4242

Page created in 0.667 seconds with 35 queries.