Trying to plan

• 24 Replies

Calou

• Experienced Member
Trying to plan
« on: September 20, 2007, 21:45 »
Apologies if this is in the wrong place (just shift me if it is) but I need some help please. Most of my new allotment has now been dug over and I've been thinking about the layout of it, in particular, the seedbed. The plot is average, 10 rods, so what sort of size should I be thinking of for this and what special "treatment" does a seedbed require to prepare it and make ready for sowing? I really have no idea how to divide the plot up for best results, I do know that some areas have to be manured and some must not. I'll be growing just the basic and normal veg and fruit if that helps in your answers (if your kind enough to give me any lol).  :D
Calou
Reasonably organic but totally realistic

shaun

Trying to plan
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 21:59 »
big question calou.
i grow my veg in rows 20" apart from one end of the plot to the other,apart from sweetcorn and celery that are in blocks and the brassicas that are under a gazebo covered in net.dont bother with a seed bed ,the only things i sow direct are carrots/parsnips and maybe beetroot most of the stuff is grown in trays or pots 1st
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

WG.

Trying to plan
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 22:01 »
Manure everywhere except where you will plant carrot / parsnip / salsify / scorzonera.   Turnip, swede and radish don't go a bundle on too much manure either.

sweet nasturtium

Trying to plan
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 22:30 »
You can join the RHS and they will give you a garden plan for free (if you pay £25 for the year's membership!!!).

muntjac

Trying to plan
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 22:36 »
a seed bed is just that .its for growing plants ready to plant out in thier final position on the allotment .also some people confuse the issue by calling a carrot row a prepared seed bed ..... dont  for sowing carrot seed or similar crop ion rows .just rake the soil down level and fine and then using a string line mark the row out with the edge of the hoe down to about 1/2 inch following the line  sow in the depression and rake the soil back over ....................
now a seed bed is as i said an area laid out specifically for growing young plants . so dig this area over and level it it can be a yard square this i find is just about right for starting off cabbages and brocoli etc/ sow short rows as above and then mark the rows as to the plants name . now take care of this bed and the plants will come on to be about 5 /6 inches high ready to plant out onto the plot in the final position .with cabbages and brassicas in general read my post on growing tips above .hope this clarifies the point
still alive /............

Calou

• Experienced Member
Trying to plan
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 10:07 »
Well thanks. That has certainly given me something to think about especially with the "seed bed". As SHAUN said, it's a big question and people obviously have personal preferences. I noticed that MUNTY said "take care of the bed" What exactly do you mean Munty? Sorry to be thick but I'm just trying to get it right lol

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Trying to plan
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 10:23 »
Quote from: "Calou"
I noticed that MUNTY said "take care of the bed" What exactly do you mean Munty?

I'd assume - WEED IT!

It's a matter of preference. I start all my brassicas off in the greenhouse in seed tray inserts - one to a cell. (Makes a packet last a long time!).

Pot em up into 3" pots, harden off & then plant out. They go in with a cracking root ball and gives them a fighting chance against my club root!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

muntjac

Trying to plan
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 11:03 »
yeh wed it n watter it nice  take any bugs orf it and ur wil be fine ,,,,,, capporff to ya DD

Calou

• Experienced Member
Trying to plan
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 13:50 »
Alright, alright, I asked for that one I know (Thanks Digger) LMAO Of course I'm gonna weed it, I just thought MUNTY meant to do something special with my bed..........................and before you all rush to make a comment on that last statement, forget it, I don't wanna get kicked off the site.  :lol:

muntjac

Trying to plan
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 14:24 »
I just thought MUNTY meant to do something special with my bed..........................and before you all rush to make a comment on that last statement, forget it, I don't wanna get kicked off the site.

oooooooooooerrrr :oops:  they wont kick ya off ......ur to funny  :lol:

Calou

• Experienced Member
Trying to plan
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 14:50 »
Why thankyou Munty.................I think, glad I brought a smile to ya face, it's all I can trade for your advice at the moment!  :D

muntjac

Trying to plan
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 14:52 »
nah no trade needed  . i just like helpin if i can ... besides its not just me they loads know more than me on here .... im just a useless info collector  :wink:  :lol:

Annie

Trying to plan
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 15:17 »
This has got me thinking.I grow things in modules and trays in the greenhouse but once the toms go into bags floor space gets cluttered and watering tricky and I have some little handy beds just by the greehouse and I could save on compost....It`s not something I would even have thought about so thanks for the brilliant question :lol:

Annie

Trying to plan
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 15:19 »
Would also thankyou Munty but I am still reeling over the thought of you in bed with Shaun and Carol! :shock:  :shock:

muntjac

Trying to plan
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2007, 15:30 »
Quote from: "Annie"
Would also thankyou Munty but I am still reeling over the thought of you in bed with Shaun and Carol! :shock:  :shock:

im not sleeping ietheri got ptscs.. post traumatic shaun n carol syndrome :roll:

xx
what do you think to this plan...?

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 10, 2008, 19:16
by Bombers
clip
First plan

Started by gaztop on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post August 07, 2013, 17:23
by gaztop
xx
The plan

Started by DIGGER on Grow Your Own

53 Replies
Last post February 21, 2009, 17:13
by lacewing
xx
I have a plan...

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 01, 2011, 15:38
by Nicki85

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 38 queries.