Allotment plan

• 22 Replies

Kieron

Allotment plan
« on: March 25, 2009, 21:04 »
Hi all,

Finally getting round to sorting out the plot which is completely clear and 12m x 10m. The shed has already gone down and am working on the design of the plot. Not used graph paper since I was a school boy!!! Must be a better way of doing it now!

Unfortunately due to a number of reasons, time being the biggest, the shed had to be constructed and placed on the plot before I'd finalised the plans.

I've attached a couple of plot plans and welcome any input as this is my first allotment.

My aim is not to be self sufficient but to compliment our weekly shop with as much fresh veg as possible. As well as make the plot look nice I'm considering growing flowers for vases at home in a bed or two. Though I've marked 8 beds I'm not sure initially I'd use anywhere near that. Will probably shift beds away from edge of plot as have 3ft (1m) to play with at bottom.

Beds 1-8 are roughly 5ft deep (1.5m) x 10ft (3m) with 3ft (1m) wide paths
Compost bins are "standard" UK pallet size 1.2m (4ft) x 1m (3ft)
Shed 6ft x 4ft

I'm leaning towards option 2 as appears better use of space but 1 with the compost bins and bed swapped over is looking good too.

Any input gratefully received!
Allotment 001.jpg

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Allotment plan
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 18:49 »
There's certainly more wasted space in option 1.  Option 2 looks good.
Size of beds and paths also good.

Might be worth considering where north is, to make sure you're maximising the sun (and north-south rows are generally slightly more preferable to east-west; but don't worry too much about this).

As for not using all of it, don't worry about that at all!  By the time you've planned some permanent planting (if applicable), and used two beds for spuds and another two beds for beans and peas per year - you'll not have much left!!

You'll probably get more replies in the GYO forum, hopefully a Mod can move the topic for you

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

woodburner

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 22:33 »
Welcome to the forums :)

Why have you decided on 5ft wide beds? Can you reach into the middle of a bed that wide from the path? (Some people can, 4ft is plenty wide for me though ;) ) If you're not intending them to be no-dig beds, why so narrow?
Also, the paths seem rather wide but I'm a minimalilst when it comes to paths.  :D

If the plan is to scale, I'd be inclined to make beds 1-8 longer, and use the odd space left over by the bins for permanent crops.
Just my tuppenyworth. It's your plot. :)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 10:01 »
If it was mine then I wouldn't have the paths between the beds 1 & 2, 3 & 4 etc.  If I wanted to divide the two I would just put a small piece of wood on the soil to divide the beds.  I know that I would have to walk round the ends but that would just be good exercise!  If you have more room than you need then I would do for your second option.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 10:27 »
I think you're wasting a lot of growing space even in plan 2. 

416 sq ft for beds and 664 squ ft for paths compost and shed . That's less than 40% being used for growing  :ohmy:

I cram my tiny plot full to the gunwales and use gravel boards laid for paths as, where and when I need them.

Pompey Spud

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 10:33 »
Hi & welcome.

Personally I'd split the plot into 4 large beds for spuds, legumes, brassicas & alliums & other wot nots. Narrower paths (2 ft max). Less decking + remember space for your water butt.

Asparagus bed instead of flowers.

But hey... it's your lottie & enjoy it!  :)

PUP!
Top tip for camping....don't go.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 10:38 »

But hey... it's your lottie & enjoy it!  :)

Absolutely - do what gives you pleasure :D

johnnyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 11:27 »
There does seem to be a lot of wasted space. Your paths only need to be 2ft wide and your beds should only be about 4ft wide (believe me on this). I would also loose the center path and join up beds 1-2, 3-4, 4-5 etc.
HTH Johnny
Confucuos said... "Youve spelt my name wrong"

jolly jen

• Experienced Member
  • half of my crop of BNS & pumpkins
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 11:56 »
i dont bother wasting time drawing plans up ,,i take it as it comes,,,
if i think i  can fit a raised bed in there i do it,,,

I sure they never botherd years ago drawning up plans in the war years,if it fitted in they grew it,people are too techinal these days
Self-sufficient in rasberries and onions....

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 12:11 »
i dont bother wasting time drawing plans up ,,i take it as it comes,,,
if i think i  can fit a raised bed in there i do it,,,

I sure they never botherd years ago drawning up plans in the war years,if it fitted in they grew it,people are too techinal these days

My grandpa used to plan and write up what he did every year in pencil.....
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 12:16 »

That's what I do - squash it all in, no space for paths  :)

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 14:09 »
I like plan 2. If you can make the paths narrower, I'd shift everything up and make space under beds 7 and 8 for your permanent planting, raspberries, rhubarb and artichokes.

I'd use up some of the space between the compost and Bed 9 to do a comfrey patch.

I'd definitly keep the deck and the flower bed, that is going to look lovely, and a wonderful spot to view all your hard work from (pour me a glass of wine)  And you could fit your water butt beside your shed on the decking.

I would keep the cental path for the time being, i'd hate to have to go around such long beds, but thats because i'm always flitting between one thing and another, or forget something i need from the shed.  If your desperate for space later, you could always join up the beds then.

The width of my beds vary from 4ft to 5ft, and i'm only 5ft myself.  Sometimes i lay a plank over the widest one to harvest or dig, but still never walk on the soil.  I manage fine.

And do check your north south before you begin.  Having a plan makes loads of sense IMO. 

Enjoy.
Liv.

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 16:27 »
I have set up 4 big beds with 4 smaller beds in each and I scaled this to the size of your plot so you can see how it would work (see the attachment). You could put the shed and compost areas at the top (or side if you rotate the plan).

It is my first year, but the plan is to rotate the beds around each year and since they are exactly the same size it should make planning pretty easy. At the moment it seems to work with the small paths meaning I can get to the middle of all beds without wasting much space on paths.

I also use the small beds for fussy crops (parsnips, caulis, sweetcorn) so they are easy to get to being in the centre of the plot.

This year is beans in bed A, roots in bed B, onions in bed C and brassicas in bed D for me.

At the end of the day it is all down to what works for you - it also helps to nose around other peoples plots (I have ideas for a pond and shed shelving because of this!)
Simple Plan.JPG

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 16:31 »
Very nice Trebor - very little space wasted on paths.  Looks efficient !

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 17:23 »
Thanks Aunt Sally!

One problem I think there could be is that the size and shape may prove a little tricky to put in crop protection - the regular shaped beds are probably easier in this respect.

clip
Allotment Plan - Am I being unrealistic?

Started by Kimsportinfo on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 15, 2018, 21:35
by Tenhens
clip
Allotment planting plan for next year??

Started by Mattgregory27 on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post December 16, 2014, 22:17
by cadalot
xx
I have a plan...

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 01, 2011, 15:38
by Nicki85
xx
what do you think to this plan...?

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 10, 2008, 19:16
by Bombers

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 41 queries.