Whoop Whoop, New Fences

• 8 Replies

splash101

Whoop Whoop, New Fences
« on: October 17, 2012, 10:55 »
After 14+ years of living with neighbouring shoddy fences they are finally being replaced.

Whilst my neighbours are great, they dont really do anything at speed.

There have been huge holes for years which i have had to patch over with chicken mesh to stop their dog coming this way and our chucks going that way.
There have been times where panels have gone in the wind because the post has rotted away, which we have shored up this side with a stake and a bit of rope.
The only thing that has stopped my chickens going awol is the shrub jungle  i have had to grow (more for privacy than anything as the fence ranges from 3-4 feet high).

Well, its a big fence going up which means the shrub jungle can come down to a managable, attractive level.

Off to dust off the garden shredder  :D

compostqueen

Re: Whoop Whoop, New Fences
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 11:36 »
Ah good !  Sounds like it's going to be heaven to have unwanted dogs out and chooks in. It's a real worry isn't it if you can't be sure they won't disappear.

splash101

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 11:42 »
It is a worry especially as no matter how much wing clipping goes on they still manage to get out of their pen area if they are really determined.

My neighbour (who is replacing the fences) had some bantams a few years ago and they all disappeared one evening. There wasnt even 1 lost feather on the ground to indicate if a predator had taken them.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 13:32 »
Wow, I thought one of our neighbours was bad at around 3 years with tatty fencing.  We just let the panels fall in the end which seemed to do the trick.  They have young children and an old dog which never bothered about our hens.

Since they have put up the new fence hubby has moved 2 sheds along side it.  So what was a no go area is now usable space.

You will really enjoy getting your privacy back, I know I did.  Good luck with the shredding.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 14:55 »
You're lucky. Our neighbour's solution to his rotten fence was to plant leylandii on his side to hide it. He promised to keep it at no more than 4ft high, it's twice that height and I have to keep trimming the da*n thing twice a year on my side. >:(

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 15:10 »
You're lucky. Our neighbour's solution to his rotten fence was to plant leylandii on his side to hide it. He promised to keep it at no more than 4ft high, it's twice that height and I have to keep trimming the da*n thing twice a year on my side. >:(

They should be banned in normal sized gardens.   >:(

splash101

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 17:46 »
Its up now and looking good. Im sooo easily pleased.

Hadnt thought about how it could be worse but leylandii would be a heck of a lot worse.
Theres a house around the corner from us and they've planted them on the front of the house of a very small garden. Looks a mess, all the dogs seem to visit there too  :( They must be 10ft high now and not kept very tidy.
 i feel for the neighbours.

They should definately not be sold in garden centres

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 21:21 »
Glad the fence is up now and your lovely chickens are safe to roam in the garden. Will you be painting your side?

splash101

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 22:55 »
im itching to paint our side as its a different colour to our fences, the rest of our fences need repainting as well. So many jobs to do and not enough hours

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 34 queries.