Just a small word of warning about incubating eggs in Jan/Feb

• 3 Replies

Casey76

I know that people are often very keen to start incubating as soon as possible... I mean who can resist puffy little day old chicks.

However...

To get fertile eggs, you need a cock/cockerel who is mating with his females, at least on a semi regular basis.  At this time of year, unless the hens and cocks have been kept under artifical lights and temperatures, most cocks are not feeling the need to mate at the moment.  It is too cold, the nights are still too long and lets face it, most hens are still not laying. (Pullets may be laying, but there is a whole other list of reasons why hatching pullet eggs should be avoided, in general!)

So, if you get eggs, through the post, from eb*y or similar, and incubate them right now, I wouldn't expect a very good hatch rate - and incubating a dozen eggs to have one or two hatch is an expensive way to get chicks (and possibly upsetting for small children if you plan on hatching for educational purposes).

Of course, after the chicks are hatched, you will then have to keep them under heat longer than if you were to hatch in March or April because of the cold temperatures outside, especially at night.  Keeping heat lamps running 24 hours a day for 8 weeks can be extremely expensive, and it is something which people can forget about.

So... in general, if you are planning to hatch right now, don't be too disappointed if you have poor hatch rates ;)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Just a small word of warning about incubating eggs in Jan/Feb
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 10:44 »
Thanks for sharing your knowledge Casey.  I love learning a bit at a time as it is easier for me to take it in an remember for the future.   ::)  :lol:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 12:37 »
Thanks for the info i was one of them that jumped into it at my cost, i got 2 hatch from 12, as you say the kids were devisted  :( and the cost of the heat lights which are on 24/7  does use a lot of elec. I should have listened to joyfull who advised against hatching at this time of year, I have learned the hard way  :(  please dont try and hatch at this time of year wait untill it gets warmer, listen to the ones who have had experience
Chicken crazy

emotion-2003

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 18:49 »
hi casey
thanks for information.be honest i was planing to buy incubator this year and hatch some eggs.but i changed my mind after asking forum.i dont think in future i ll hatch eggs.because buying hens i think much easier and fast way to get fresh eggs than hatch: :D

xx
Chicken Lice; word of warning

Started by SnooziSuzi on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 17:14
by virgotiger
exclamation
5girls dead. A word of warning

Started by Alby on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post October 26, 2010, 13:21
by hillfooter
xx
incubating eggs

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 28, 2011, 12:57
by Casey76
xx
incubating eggs

Started by ceri green on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 16, 2009, 17:50
by Foxy

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 36 queries.