Vine Weevil

• 5 Replies

Penny Finn

Vine Weevil
« on: April 22, 2011, 14:41 »
I am once again plagued by vine weevil in my hanging baskets and pots.  Usually, for reasons of economy, I just take out the top layer or so of compost and put in fresh to replant.  Last year, however, I had to throw out the whole lot because of infestation by the little beggers.  This year I am going to have the same problem.  At the moment I am just tipping it into the chickens' run and they are delighted.  Does anyone have any suggestions how to deal with it?
I did buy some very expensive vine weevil control last year but it didn't seem to make any difference.
Many thanks for any advice
Gardening Granny
Gardening Granny

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Vine Weevil
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 14:51 »
Sorry to hear about your problem Penny. :( I had them once and only once in our previous garden - they came in via a bought plant. :( At the time I used a chemical powder control which worked for me but there is also a nemasys one available now. Which type did you try, unsuccessfully?
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Penny Finn

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 14:54 »
I am just off to the shed to see if I can find it!  Can't remember the name off the top of my head.  I know it was very expensive and we had to measure it out and water it into the pots. 

Penny Finn

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 17:06 »
It is Provado Vine Weevil treatment.  Obviously didn't work for us!  Maybe I should try the nematodes.  Do you think it would last for more than one season?
Gardening Granny

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 18:53 »
I've never used the nematodes Penny, so I can't answer that but hopefully someone can for you. I used the Doff treatment. Just a thought, if your problem is a recurring one what type of lining have you got for your hanging baskets? I wondered if it is perhaps a coir type liner, are there eggs buried in the material?

:)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 19:39 »
Nematodes will last for a few weeks - you may need to reapply during the season.  Their effect certainly won't last into the following season.

I too would be looking for the source of reinfection.  In pots I can just about understand it, but hanging baskets surprise me more.  As argyllie suggests, are you reusing any components such as compost from last year, liners, or buying plants from the same place which may be infected?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
vine weevil

Started by dave43 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 15, 2015, 08:51
by dave43
xx
vine weevil

Started by muddifoot on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 09:53
by vineweevil1
xx
vine weevil again

Started by Penny Finn on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post March 13, 2012, 13:57
by Auntiemogs
xx
vine weevil

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 31, 2021, 09:24
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 39 queries.