Could these be...

• 4 Replies

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
Could these be...
« on: May 11, 2014, 23:41 »
Could these be the geraniums I sowed just over 1 month ago? I sowed 5 seeds in a pot which I left outdoors. It's an old (possibly heirloom?) creeping variety that we used to have growing in the back garden of our old house. It died back at the end of the year, and returned the following year, presumably by seeding itself, but I'm not 100% sure.

The last two photos are the only photos I could find of the fully grown plant, but I know I have some that show the plants better somewhere...

I don't suppose anyone has an idea what variety it is. It was originally acquired from Kent by my mother, and I've not been able to find any geranium quite like it despite a few hours spent searching on the interweb.
ger.jpg
ger_c.jpg
hover0704_011.jpg
hover0804_004.jpg

Maarten

Re: Could these be...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 10:12 »
I think that the first true leaves of Geranium immediately have a bit more of the typical Geranium leave shape, but I am not entirely sure.
Maarten

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 13:05 »
I'm not sure either, nor do I know the variety. Why not send your pics to the RHS and see if they can help. Beautiful pics of the hoverfly - look at the pattern on its wings!  :)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 20:29 »
Thanks for the replies Maarten and Goosegirl.

I don't know why I didn't think of searching the RHS website before, because I found a link for The Pelargonium & Geranium Society who I shall contact.

Thank you also for the kind words about the photos Goosegirl - yes, they have such delicate wings. Almost like stained glass without the stain. I do love photographing hoverflies!

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 13:13 »
Yes - they are just like the lead in stained-glass windows. It could make a lovely art work if they were copied onto canvas and colours applied between or even going over the veins.

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 33 queries.