carrot fly and parsnips.

• 8 Replies

gowing238

• Experienced Member
carrot fly and parsnips.
« on: April 10, 2010, 08:04 »
I am buying enviromesg to cover my carrots, but was wondering if i need to buy some more to cover my parsnips?

Cheers
Start at the beginning, and finish at the end!!

boosh

Re: carrot fly and parsnips.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 08:19 »
I don't cover my parsnips,
so i would not worry about covering them, i think they are very bullet proof when it comes to pests.

Christine

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 09:03 »
Carrot fly does affect parsnips and causes canker. I've never netted parsnips against carrot fly so far but as mine are next to the carrots this year I will probably do both. Belt and braces sort of attitude.  :D

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 09:58 »
The carrot fly maggots burrow into the crowns of the parsnips and the damaged areas allow cancer bacteria to infect the plants. (at least I think it is bacteria?)

I have not experienced carrot fly actually killing parsnips when they are small, as they will carrots, but others may have had this happen.

My parsnips grow next to the carrots and share the enviromesh until the tops get too big when it is moved just over the carrots. I do get some cancer.

boosh

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 11:24 »
Carrot fly does affect parsnips and causes canker. I've never netted parsnips against carrot fly so far but as mine are next to the carrots this year I will probably do both. Belt and braces sort of attitude.  :D
mind you i don't net my carrots either, only had slight damage on the june and july sowings, so this year have sown early and will sow autum carrots will miss out the summer sowings.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 19:16 »
I always have a bit of canker on my Parsnips, so I am trying Enviromesh this year - for the first time.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 20:52 »
Can only speak from my experience which is that carrot fly attack on carrots is usually devastating, but the canker problem resulting from carrot fly attack on parsnips is relatively minor.

I have actually had more problems with carrot fly attack on parsley than parsnips (yes, same family of plants I'm afraid!)  :(

As a result I net carrots, peel off (un-netted) parsnip canker damage, and grow parsley un-netted in more than one part of the garden!

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 07:24 »
Yup, my canker damage comes off with the spud-peeler. But I'll be interested to see if it goes away after my Enviromesh experiment. Turns out I have a longer row of parsnips than I had calculated, so might even turn out to be a half-and-half experiment!

boosh

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 07:29 »
Found out that carrot fly affects celery as well.  :tongue2:

xx
Carrot's and Parsnips - Permanent bed?

Started by cudders on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 20:16
by Trillium
xx
Carrot fly planting now avoids carrot fly?

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 06:52
by Pescador
xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
Is the Carrot Fly done yet

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 14, 2010, 09:40
by Salmo

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 39 queries.