Vegetables that need little watering ?

• 4 Replies

andy-10

Vegetables that need little watering ?
« on: April 06, 2011, 15:52 »
Hi,

I've just got my allotment, but it's a fair distance from me and so I'll probably only be able to get down there once a week.

Do you have any suggestions on what veg I can grow that would only need watering once a week during the summer ?

Also, any suggestions on winter veg ? I was thinking about brocoli and cabbage. When should I plant this, and will it grow right through until spring ?

Many thanks.

GreenOwl

Re: Vegetables that need little watering ?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 17:05 »
Most veg need less water than you think.  You might get reduced yield.  I would be more concerned about only being able to harvest once a week.

I would avoid courgettes, raspberries, peas and beans for that reason and I might avoid cucumber and salad leaves on watering grounds.  (Only might, because I'm not a great fan of watering anyway.)

Check the seed packets for when to sow broccoli and cabbage.  They are usually started off in seed beds and moved later on.  Ditto leeks.  Don't forget parsnips (plant ASAP as its getting late to start those), over-wintering onions (plant from sets in the autumn) and garlic (also autumn).

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 17:22 »
A thorough watering once a week (or twice in really hot / dry weather) is much better than little-and-often. The plants will put down roots lookign for water, and the heavy watering you give will stay in the lower regions of the soil for several days.

If you water little-and-often the roots grow near the surface, coz its damp there ... and then once the weather gets hot they dry out even DURING the day, and the plants are stressed.

Mulching will help keep the water in the soil, and try to water in the evening (so the sun doesn't evaporate it from the surface)

You could also consider some sort of drip irrigation - a 2L (or larger) fizyy-pop bottle with a small hole underneath - could take a couple of days to drip out?

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 21:58 »
Interesting point always, about veg growing down to where the water is, and not just staying on the surface.

If you double-dig though, does the 'pan' at subsoil level just let more water through?

I expect to double dig next year, as there was a distinct barrier at one spit down when we started our plot this year.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 22:00 »
Pans usually create drainage problems and it is advised to break through them in order to improve drainage.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Confused about watering or not watering

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 18:33
by Nikkithefoot
xx
What, when and how to net vegetables

Started by trogg on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 00:17
by suziet88
xx
Vegetables so far

Started by weathergirl on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 21:13
by Dan78
xx
Shady vegetables

Started by Jbee on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 21, 2021, 18:26
by Ema

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 33 queries.