Munty's runner bean frame

• 273 Replies

IanT

Munty's one way to grow runner beans
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2009, 20:30 »
Well my reasoning was the leaves would absorb most of the sun during the day - I hope I'm right!

I can see your reasoning but the think the original design was intended to maximise the usefulness of the ground area, minimising shade so other veg lettuce etc can be grown underneath.

monkeywobbler

• Experienced Member
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2009, 10:22 »
Not to worry - I've erected another one in the opposite direction, so hopefully I'll be able to see which one produces the best crops. Thanks for the replies guys!

matron

« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2009, 12:07 »
Not to worry - I've erected another one in the opposite direction, so hopefully I'll be able to see which one produces the best crops. Thanks for the replies guys!

Let us know the results so that we can build the best producing way next year.  :D :D

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2009, 07:55 »
Well my reasoning was the leaves would absorb most of the sun during the day - I hope I'm right!

I can see your reasoning but the think the original design was intended to maximise the usefulness of the ground area, minimising shade so other veg lettuce etc can be grown underneath.

You can plant cauliflower underneath the north facing one, from what I have read, they do better when shaded.

Robbo.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

garddwr

« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2009, 19:29 »
Can you grow Climbing French Beans(cobra) up the munty frame ?

Bombers

« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2009, 19:38 »
Can you grow Climbing French Beans(cobra) up the munty frame ?
Awww. Yass. That's what I grew last year, and will be doing again this year.
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2009, 20:44 »
I'd be very interested in knowing the results of growing facing north versus south.

I'm about to build my own version for the first time in the next coupla weeks. One question I have - a lot of allotmenteers around my way seem to build their (boring traditional) frames with a solid base of scaffolding poles or the like, and then add bamboo canes onto that base. With the munty style, how strong to my main supports need to be?

They have these things called 'plant supports' or something in homebase for a quid or two that seem to be some sort of thin metal with a plastic covering. Would that be strong enough to base my frame, or do i need to go more hardcore?

zazen999

« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2009, 21:14 »
I put mine up a few weeks back, and they survived the winds we had. I've had broadies up it at the moment and they seem to be growing nicely, although once they are nearly done I will underplant with frenchies.

I put in 40 odd tall peas for the Garden Organic Members' Experiments today.

Hoping it is sturdy enough for all the climbing beans and peas I'm hoping to grow this year....
IMG00028-20090305-1330.jpg

monkeywobbler

• Experienced Member
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2009, 17:39 »
Thanks for the tip Robbo - I hadn't really thought about it before and stuck salad bowl lettuce in the north facing one so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't like it there!
I will let everyone know what the yields are like from north v south facing, sometimes being daft has a use  :tongue2:

Paul Plots

« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2009, 19:02 »
Great to see another munty-frame. Thanks, MoreWhisky. It looks good!  ;)
What height have you made the front and the rear uprights?

I love the child/rens play area too - a brilliant idea to give somewhere to dig and play. I would have loved that as a kid.  :)

Being nosy - Are those spuds you've got through already?
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2009, 19:14 »
Thanks for your comments Learner  :)

6ft at front(8ft ploes) 4ft at rear(6ft poles) , i also used the same supports acroos the front and back 6ft ones.

Those plants are my strawberrys thats ive not moved from last yr but just tidyied them up abit , but i did swop a few of the older ones.

Glad u like the Childrens play area/Quarry made with scaffolding boards the same ones ive made my raised beds  with , works a treat.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Paul Plots

« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2009, 19:42 »
Thanks for the dimensions - appreciated.

I think the children's quarry is a really great idea........ something that others would be pleased to copy I bet.  :)

Ropster

« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2009, 13:46 »
I will be putting mine up in a coupple of weeks when the purple sprouting has finnished.

What would happen it I grew one runner and one climbing french (cobra) bean up each string. do people think this would work or is it madness ?

Paul Plots

« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2009, 14:03 »
I will be putting mine up in a coupple of weeks when the purple sprouting has finnished.

What would happen it I grew one runner and one climbing french (cobra) bean up each string. do people think this would work or is it madness ?

Sounds fine to me..... just as long as you can see which is which when you come to harvest.
I grew butternut squash on the same frame as runner beans last year... I can't think why you shouldn't mix-n-match different beans.

Like you I am waiting for my purple sprouting to "move over" so I can finish off the bean-frame  ::)

bluealf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2009, 20:14 »
I have just built a mini "munty frame ™" just the one bay, it will be enough beans for us  :happy: i popped some tressle up the 5ft front posts for some pea's.

If work out how to do pics myself i will bore you with them sometime  :wacko:
Carlisle

xx
Ask Munty - Planting Tips

Started by Smudgeboy on Growing FAQs and other Information

16 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 18:26
by DD.
xx
making your own seed compost the munty way

Started by muntjac on Growing FAQs and other Information

11 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 16:10
by muntjac

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 55 queries.