Wyevale garden centres

• 23 Replies

Comfortably Numb

• Experienced Member
    • Dung Beetle's Allotment Plots
Re: Wyevale garden centres
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 19:42 »
with regard to joining instore or retailers "clubs" aka Tesco Clubcard etc which I assume the Wyevale "club" is such as well I would be very circumspect as regards these.

They are purely and simply marketing information generating centres for use by these companies to disseminate information about you and all what you buy.  (they earn BIG bucks out of YOUR info) This information is used to profile you and your family and target you with direct selling methods and is sold on to other marketing companies about YOU not just what you buy.  It is quite astounding how much information these companies build up about you, what you buy, how often, where in the country you go, all your spending habits on virtually everything.....   The other biggee is the fact that the Inland Revenue are able to access this information (without your knowledge) to ascertain what your income is (if they feel the need to check you out that is)

Yes big brother is most certainly watching you.....

Dont get me on about the satellite and broadband TV companies and how they download all what you are watching......

I'm sure the Inland Revenue know all they want to know without hoping that somebody will join the Wyevale garden club  :D

Personally I think it's great. Good offers, and if I shop on a tuesday, I effectively get 10% discount.
If they want to pass on the information that I bought 4 bags of concentrated farmyard manure for £10, that's fine by me  :D
Cheers, Comfortably Numb.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long ..........................

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 23:42 »
I'm sure Wyevale are a jolly good outfit and popping off on a Tuesday to get the extra 10% is the highlight of the week but my point was a bit more than just a crib.....    The point is that they KNOW you are off there on a Tuesday and KNOW you do your weekly shop at Tescos, usually on a Friday @ 11am and that you pop into Boots on the way home and pay your bills online Sunday mornings and watch Sky sport on Saturday afternoon, dont you find this creepy that these companies log your life and all what you do...... hmmm

Me? I prefer to try to remain anonymous......  however I am off down to the pub and some point in the near future.... hehe
Death OR Cake ???

Comfortably Numb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 07:19 »
I'm sure Wyevale are a jolly good outfit and popping off on a Tuesday to get the extra 10% is the highlight of the week but my point was a bit more than just a crib.....    The point is that they KNOW you are off there on a Tuesday and KNOW you do your weekly shop at Tescos, usually on a Friday @ 11am and that you pop into Boots on the way home and pay your bills online Sunday mornings and watch Sky sport on Saturday afternoon, dont you find this creepy that these companies log your life and all what you do...... hmmm

Me? I prefer to try to remain anonymous......  however I am off down to the pub and some point in the near future.... hehe

The thing is though, I don't always go on a tuesday, but it is to my benefit if I do. I vary my shopping between Tesco, Morrison and Sainsburys ( are all three of them waiting to see if I turn up  ;) ), I never shop in Boots, and don't have Sky. I think you can get a little paranoid about these things if you're not careful  :D

Sweet Pea 2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 09:26 »
I guess it depends if oyu have anything to hide.  I am honest with the Inland Revenue so I have nothing to hide.  I also don't really care if there is someone monitoring which days are where I shop.
I take the benefit and realise that enables the store (and possibly other) monitor my shopping habits.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2009, 08:23 »
"This information is used to profile you and your family and target you with direct selling methods and is sold on to other marketing companies about YOU not just what you buy"

They aren't allowed to do that without your permission

"The other biggee is the fact that the Inland Revenue are able to access this information (without your knowledge) to ascertain what your income is"

I don't get how my buying habits at Wyevale would enable the IR to know what I earn?  I seriously doubt the IR's ability to even tie my Wyevale Club Registration details to my IR tax number ...

"Dont get me on about the satellite and broadband TV companies and how they download all what you are watching...... "

Unless you have a phone plugged in to your Sat box (I haven't for years) they have no way of knowing what you are watching

Sweet Pea 2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 11:43 »
Well I went to Wyvale this morning (I found there was one close to home as well.)  I have to say I was very impressed, friendly helpful staff, and good stock.  I will be back, but perhaps not too often, I came back with a cold frame today!!   :)

Comfortably Numb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2009, 21:19 »
Well I went to Wyvale this morning (I found there was one close to home as well.)  I have to say I was very impressed, friendly helpful staff, and good stock.  I will be back, but perhaps not too often, I came back with a cold frame today!!   :)

It's very easy to spend money in there I'm afraid  :D

Did you join the club while you were there?

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2009, 00:11 »
hehe
well it did engender a sort of debate -

I'm off to my local Wyevale to spend some cash.....

you wont hear another peep out of me!!

Sweet Pea 2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2009, 18:13 »
yes, now member of the club too.   :).  They can watch me as much as they like!

xx
Any Good Garden Centres near Dartington?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 21, 2010, 16:59
by JohnB47
xx
The things garden centres sell!

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 17:38
by greenhead
xx
When do Tomato plants start to appear in garden centres?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post November 01, 2014, 17:17
by madcat
xx
Exciting Offer at Wyevale Garden centre

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 19, 2007, 22:51
by muntjac

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 38 queries.