growing lettuce

• 29 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: growing lettuce
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 23:01 »
I laughed at
I use very few sllug pellets... if the soil around the lettuce bed is free from weeds there's little place for the slugs to hide so damage is normally low.

My sluggies hide in the lettuce........................... :ohmy:

I have used my seed tray inserts for 3 years now, carefully I will admit...but that ain't bad for 99p :lol: :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 00:38 »
I laughed at
I use very few sllug pellets... if the soil around the lettuce bed is free from weeds there's little place for the slugs to hide so damage is normally low.

My sluggies hide in the lettuce........................... :ohmy:

I have used my seed tray inserts for 3 years now, carefully I will admit...but that ain't bad for 99p :lol: :lol:

I fork over the bed - plant the lettuce and shake a few blue pellets in place... no weeds near by allowed... and I hoe very regularly after that.... almost not a single slug in the lettuce .... unless it is near the end of the season.. Works well - no fibbing!!  ;)

Single cells for sowing = had a pile given to me but only occasionally use them.... 1/2 tray & 5" pots work well.
Each to their own - variety is the spice and all that...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 00:40 by Learner »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Fisherman

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 04:36 »
I grew various lettuce varieties last year both outside in the ground and in gutter trays / deep troughs. Early on the troughs were kept in a cold greenhouse but from June onwards they were put outside. Although I had a little problem from slugs the biggest problem I had from late May onwards was from mildew. The cut and come again weren’t bothered with it as they were cut before it had time to get hold nor were the oriental mixed salads. The likes of Little Gem and Winter Density lettuces were decimated. Any advice on treatment?

I intend to grow mildew resistant lettuce varieties this year if I can get hold of them. Already got Lakeland lettuce to try.

For information I also had good results from Watercress, Baby Spinach, Pak Choy and Rocket grown in troughs which I also use in salads. I intend to start sowing these under glass this weekend. Can’t wait to get going and get a decent salad!

zazen999

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 08:43 »

99p when a 1/2 seed tray will last for 5 years or you can re-use a 5" pot....... go cheap and recycle!  ;)

I do recycle; some of my seed trays are in year 4/5

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 08:54 »
They're mere youngsters. I've got some going back since before Mrs Digger & I got married and that was 34 years ago!

I dare say an off topic discussion will now start as to who has the oldest seed tray!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Paul Plots

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 14:19 »
They're mere youngsters. I've got some going back since before Mrs Digger & I got married and that was 34 years ago!

I dare say an off topic discussion will now start as to who has the oldest seed tray!

Me.... wooden!!  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 14:22 »
Years ago I actually made some seed trays from pallet wood!.....me? Cheapskate?  how very dare you :ohmy:

Must have been bored stiff at the time :lol: :lol: :tongue2:

hamstergbert

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 16:19 »
Sown in 5" pots in GH then pricked out 2 per 5" finally out into raised bed and liberally spread coffee grounds all round.  Losses minimal so I will be doing same again this year.  Later plant outs couldnt be, er, bothered with the coffee grounds and paid the price!  May be coincidence and it might have had nothing to do with the coffee grounds at all, but I'm game for a pest-control placebo if that is what it was!

Grew several in the black placky Morrison flower tubs - Webbs Wonderful plus half a dozen different leaf varieties.  Stuck strip of copper tape right round each for the slug barrier and that seemed to work very well indeed, so have those particular copper-taped pots laid aside for the same again this year.

Oldest seed tray?  Also wood, with illegible markings suggesting that originally it may have been what tomatoes were shipped in.  However think it is actually only seventies (it was here when we bought the house thirty or so years ago).  Has been patched up repeatedly, and boy does it dry out quickly outside at the first bit of real sunshine and warm wind!  But still got a bit of a soft spot for it!
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Yabba

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 18:40 »

Aunt Sally's gonna kick yer bum for infringement of copyright with that one! ... better run now ;)

¥

Paul Plots

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2010, 01:10 »

Aunt Sally's gonna kick yer bum for infringement of copyright with that one! ... better run now ;)

¥

At my age running is out of the question but I can move like the wind on a bike!  ;)

Paul Plots

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2010, 01:16 »
Not lettuce but 'let us' remember.....

Anyone remember those shallow sided wooden fruit trays?

I can remember as a kid  covering one in sticky-backed plastic (blue 'fablon') and turning it into a camping cook set with meths cooker/burner, kettle, fry-pan etc... I loved camping so made up my own camping kit. The things 8 year olds did in my time are quite different from today's 8 yr olds idea of fun  ::)

Somehow I think we had more space and freedom......

zazen999

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2010, 08:30 »
Yup, I got a swiss army knife for my 9th birthday [and I'm a girlie]....I was so chuffed!

Paul Plots

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2010, 12:01 »
Yup, I got a swiss army knife for my 9th birthday [and I'm a girlie]....I was so chuffed!

Gender equality did exist in the past then!!  ;)

Have you still got the knife??

zazen999

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2010, 13:14 »

I wish! I lost it during one of my thirty odd house moves....

Paul Plots

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2010, 12:14 »

I wish! I lost it during one of my thirty odd house moves....

Good memories last longer....  ;)

xx
growing lettuce

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 10, 2020, 08:52
by rowlandwells
xx
Growing Lettuce

Started by xhappychickx on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 19, 2011, 09:38
by xhappychickx
question
Lettuce growing???

Started by mad mark on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 09:50
by gawk
xx
Help with growing lettuce and greens

Started by greenie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2006, 11:11
by John

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 39 queries.