Taking on new half plot

• 3 Replies

chillimummy

Taking on new half plot
« on: December 04, 2016, 18:25 »
Have always had half plot sharing with lovely neighbour. She moved away a few weeks ago and after contacting our local council, am now the proud owner of a full plot  :D
My new half plot is half fruit and has a thornless blackberry, a plum tree which has lovely sweet yellow plums and crops really well, red gooseberry bushes, raspberries, strawberries and blackcurrants. The rest is good soil and today my OH and myself dug over half of it including a crop of maris peer which seemed fine and the soil easy to turn over.
It has been neglected for a few months and I have been tempted to dig and weed it myself at times.
OH has agreed to help me as whole plot on my own seems bit overwhelming although not holding out much hope that he will discover he actually enjoys this  :lol:
There are loads of bits and pieces left. She had plot for about 15 years so now have two sturdy palet compost bins (mine are bit wobbly!), plastic bins, blue pipes, nets, loads of bamboo and pea sticks, folding raised beds. and 3 or 4 watering cans but the best bit is a shed. Very excited by this which OH is bewildered by. It is full of cobwebs so won't go far into it until have given it a thorough brush and clean. :)
So first proper visit today and have made good start. Sorting out the overgrown fruit half will have to be tackled next year.
Luckily my original plot is ready for winter mostly and now don't have to carry my tools in the boot of my car all the time so will slowly fill the shed up. Plan on painting it next year a lovely bright colour too.
So finally have a full plot and the hard work begins  :lol:

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

snowdrops

Re: Taking on new half plot
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 19:29 »
Congratulations, I bet you find once organised you can manage it. I have a full plot & although hubby helps with big stuff it's me that weeds, plants & tends it all. He comes & rotovates, helps me put up the bean poles etc
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 20:56 »
That was a bit of good luck then  ;)

I've also just taken on an extra bit, so you must be full of plans just like me - exciting isn't it?  :D

chillimummy

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 21:19 »
Think will hopefully just rely on him if struggling and for heavier stuff definitely.
Have already started planning crop rotation with extra space and is very exciting. Over last four years have been given a lot of the fruit from that plot aswell as so much of it.
The plum tree has an enormous crop and the plums are delicious and the gooseberries are so sweet, need to learn how to make jam!
Exciting times, just need to organise my time well so don't feel overwhelmed.
When I took on my plot four years ago, it was really overgrown and at times it felt I was fighting a losing battle.
Want to enjoy having a full plot and use every bit of it.
Luckily my half plot is in the best state it's ever been in as this year, moving crops and gave away my blackcurrant bushes on freecycle as I never seemed to get time to pick them.
One of the best things I ever did, getting an allotment.       

xx
New half-plot

Started by borderer1951 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2020, 11:56
by Yorkie
xx
New half plot

Started by Audy70 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 07, 2014, 13:26
by Audy70
xx
new half plot!!!

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 23, 2009, 16:36
by peapod
xx
Quantities on a half plot?

Started by littlelisa on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 22:19
by Bombers

Page created in 0.474 seconds with 40 queries.