What to do with broad beans whilst away

• 9 Replies

flynn95

What to do with broad beans whilst away
« on: March 27, 2013, 21:33 »
Hi everyone

I'm going away at the end of next week and will be away for 5 days.  I currently have 9 lovely broad bean seedlings on my windowsill.  Given the weather is crazy at the moment I'm not sure what to do with them.  My plan is harden them off during the next few days, then leave outside under fleece whilst I'm away and hope for the best.  Any other thoughts?  I could leave them inside but then they won't be in good enough light and won't get watered.

They are about 4 inches high, seed leaves are out and the other leaves are gradually unfurling

Thanks

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
Re: What to do with broad beans whilst away
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 22:01 »
If they're a variety like Aquadulce, some people plant these in autumn and they'll grow when conditions allow.  Even so, BB can get badly frost bitten in spring, though they'll grow through this usually.

Yours are likely to need a little more time to adjust to the winter that is pretending to be spring at the moment when coming from a warm windowsill - especially to overnight temperatures.  Have you got a cold frame?  Failing that, sow some more to come on while your on holiday to make up for any losses - they will catch up in no time at all.

Mr Sheen

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 22:19 »
I've got about 30 BB seedlings, maybe half the size of OPs, just noticed this evening that the main root has grown right out the bottom of the pot, meaning it must measure a good 6 inches. I'm not going to pot them all on, might just plant them out. They've been hardened off over last week or so, coming in in evenings. Any thoughts?

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 22:53 »
I've got about 30 BB seedlings, maybe half the size of OPs, just noticed this evening that the main root has grown right out the bottom of the pot, meaning it must measure a good 6 inches. I'm not going to pot them all on, might just plant them out. They've been hardened off over last week or so, coming in in evenings. Any thoughts?
Are you bringing them back into the house or into a cold frame/ greenhouse at night? 

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 23:40 »
They are pretty tough and do not need much hardening off. Harden them off and then leave them somewhere outside. If you get an opportunity plant them out.

Whatever you do, do not leave them anywhere warm any longer or they will get tall and spoil.

Mr Sheen

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 06:50 »
Both - some have come inside, others have been in unheated greenhouse. I've had some black plastic down where they're heading for a week or so. Hopefully that, bit of fleece over them, and they'll survive. Soil's not too wet, so don't think roots will rot.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 07:02 »
Broad beans are quite hardy, whilst they don't like really long and cold spells, they'll stand what we're getting at the moment.

They do not need molly-coddling - this will lead to weak plants. They do not want to be indoors, they need no more than an unheated greenhouse or coldframe.

I think you may find you need more than 9 plants to get a decent return. This will only give you a 2'6" row if planted as per the RHS advice:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=617

John's advice here:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/grow-your-own/grow-broad-beans.php

Neither mention any more than an unheated greehouse for them.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

flynn95

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 22:10 »
Thanks for all your advice.

I have a carport so will harden them off during the day over the next few days in that then leave them out whilst away.  I'll sow some emergency seeds too just in case.

I only have a small garden so 9 plants will be enough I would have thought, especially as I only like broad beans in a broad bean and pea dip!  They are such fascinating plants though and I've never grown them before so they will be a new experience for me.

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 00:01 »
If you have never grown them before there is something you should know. There is an ancient by-law in Essex which forbids a young man from walking a maid into a field of beans whilst it is in flower. Something to do with the joys of Spring and a young man's fancy.

Totty

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 14:19 »
Outside in the garden during the day, into the carport at night for a few days, then leave them out in the garden maybe with a bit of fleece over them at nighttime. Plant them out the day before you go away and they will be fine.

Totty

xx
Broad beans without broad beans inside!

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2013, 16:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
healthy Broad Beans flowers ...no beans see pics advice ?

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 18:47
by gobs
exclamation
French beans and broad beans

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 13:44
by lovemyveg
xx
Why do some broad beans have big pods but no beans?

Started by Mrs Bee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 21:40
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.426 seconds with 34 queries.