Onion Fertilizer

• 2 Replies

chickpeacurry

• Experienced Member
Onion Fertilizer
« on: September 20, 2014, 22:13 »
Can anyone advice about the use of onion fertilizer.  Can this also be used on garlic.  Should I mix some into the soil or put a small amount in when I plant each onion. I usually use growmore.  Thanks   

snowdrops

Re: Onion Fertilizer
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 04:39 »
I would rake in to the soil prior to planting for both onions & garlic. That's what I do with chicken pellets, never actually used growmore but I think it is just a general fertiliser.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

BabbyAnn

Re: Onion Fertilizer
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 09:31 »
Can anyone advice about the use of onion fertilizer.  Can this also be used on garlic.  Should I mix some into the soil or put a small amount in when I plant each onion. I usually use growmore.  Thanks   

Remember that autumn planting of overwintering onions and garlic is to get their roots to grow before the temperatures drop and all growth slows down.  Too much leafy growth is not that desirable before winter so a fertiliser at this stage should have a higher ratio of phosphorous and potassium to promote healthy roots.  In spring you will need to do a top dressing to replenish nutrients lost over winter so a general fertilizer will be fine then.

To answer your question, you could use onion fertilizer or an organic version such as Bonemeal.  However, don't get too hung up about fertilisers unless your soil is particularly poor -  Growmore raked in will be perfectly fine IMO.  If your soil is a bit on the acidic side, it might be helpful to add a little lime too

xx
Best fertilizer for onion,s

Started by paul meese on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 24, 2008, 22:43
by vegmandan
xx
onion fertilizer

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 23, 2024, 18:17
by Yorkie
xx
onion/potato fertilizer confusion

Started by Annen on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 10, 2014, 08:31
by gavinjconway
xx
So which fertilizer do you use?

Started by allot2learn on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 17, 2015, 13:42
by Ema

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 28 queries.