Slipping chicks

• 5 Replies

gracie

• Experienced Member
Slipping chicks
« on: April 01, 2011, 10:36 »
The chicks at present are in a plastic box with woodchippings, they are slipping on the plastic, is this ok or should we put something else in, they are a day old. Will post photos tonight

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Slipping chicks
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 10:58 »
Don't think that is good for them, they could end up with splayed legs.  Try putting something like sandpaper under the wood chippings or the stuff you line out bird cages with.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 11:55 »
For the first few days I put an old towel or pillowcase on top of the shavings.  Keeps shavings clean and helps stop slipping.  Chickenlady uses kitchen towel in her small brooder which is also plastic.

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 12:12 »
For the first few days I put cheap kitchen roll ontop of the shavings/aubiose.  Once they have control of their legs I take it away.

I just want to make sure... you are keeping the chicks in the incubator for 24 hours before you move them to the brooder?

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 14:56 »
Slipping can be very dangerous for them as has been pointed out so fix this a soon as  possible to prevent serious injury.

I use a plywood board with a fine (3mm sq) mesh stapled to it.  This is useful to spread chick crumbs on to start them eating.  Using a saucer can be slippy too and they will walk on it.

As they get bigger I raise up the board with their feeder and drinker on (using wood or bricks) so it is higher than the shavings and doesn't get their food contaminated.  Likewise their feeder and drinker need to be above vent height on the board and of a type they can't climb on so they don't foul their food or water.

Use purpose designed feeders & drinkers which are far better than jamjar lids and the like in the long run.

HF
Truth through science.

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 19:24 »
Thanks for your replies all sorted now. Yes the ones that hatched yesterday were moved out of the incubator today. I have just had a call to say we have had another 2 this evening so that is now 12 and another egg is still chirping. I am now going to open a new post with photos.

xx
Chicks

Started by Jeanette on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2010, 14:57
by joyfull
xx
Bye Bye chicks

Started by Thingy on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 17:13
by Thingy
xx
new chicks..

Started by Craigx on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post October 05, 2012, 22:24
by Craigx
xx
new chicks!

Started by Craigx on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 16:32
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 36 queries.