need help to design manure filling bag stand

• 15 Replies

prakash_mib

need help to design manure filling bag stand
« on: April 11, 2012, 08:25 »
I always find it difficult digging alone and have to adjust the bag after every spade or half. the other day this bloke turns up with his wife and she was holding the bag and they finished bagging 8 by the time I've done 2  >:(.
We need to come up with a design like ikea laundry basket (foldable with cloth bag in middle) which can hold the manure bag. should be easy to pop in and pull out.
please help and lets design one.
 :)
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

savbo

Re: need help to design manure filling bag stand
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 08:34 »
I used a tapering bucket about 60cm tall and 40 cm wide at the top (it originally held some chemical but was well washed), then cut the bottom out. Then stand it top down, push an old compost bag over the rim (fits perfectly) and fill away. The advantage of using it upside down is that because the taper there is no problem lifting the bucket off, leaving the heavy bag on the floor...

I used this a lot when I had a shredder - worked a treat. I reckon some of the buckets you get oil in for big caterers would work, or some of the ones you see outside pound-type shops...

prakash_mib

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 08:58 »
good idea. I was thinking on same lines of using bins with bottom cut out. there needs to be something which will hold the top of the bag so that it wont sink in. I was thinking of using an old belt to tie around.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 09:05 »
just use a bungee (stretchy cord/rope with hooks on the end) sorted ;)

prakash_mib

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 09:50 »
just use a bungee (stretchy cord/rope with hooks on the end) sorted ;)
never heard of that uptil now and it looks like the perfect one for the job  :)

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 09:55 »
An inflated motorcycle inner tube works well to keep the top open, you can prop it up on a small frame you want. never fails, just stretch the bag over the tube. and fill through the middle. Job done.
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

savbo

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 11:00 »
good idea. I was thinking on same lines of using bins with bottom cut out. there needs to be something which will hold the top of the bag so that it wont sink in. I was thinking of using an old belt to tie around.

by using a bin only 60cm/2' high the compost bag sits on the ground so doesn't sink in...

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 12:15 »
When i was a pet sitter, one of the jobs I went on had a good idea. It was simply a large sheet of flexible plastic, which you rolled and let go in a plastic bin bag and it kept the bag upright and open while I poo picked the horses' field. The bags were then tied and left by the gate for gardeners who wanted it.

Gwiz

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 12:42 »
I've used an old plastic tall kitchen waste bin with the bottom cut off. Put in your plastic bag, fold it over the top, fill it and then just unfold the top and pull the bin up and over the top. By this time there's enough material in the sack to support itself if you refold it.
Another idea is to use one of those rigid plastic sheet you can get at the garden centre for holding sacks open when filling them with leaves.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 13:17 »
I've used an old plastic tall kitchen waste bin with the bottom cut off. Put in your plastic bag, fold it over the top, fill it and then just unfold the top and pull the bin up and over the top. By this time there's enough material in the sack to support itself if you refold it.
Another idea is to use one of those rigid plastic sheet you can get at the garden centre for holding sacks open when filling them with leaves.
[/color]

That's the one! :D

Gwiz

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 16:48 »
I think they're about a tenner  :D

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 21:31 »
You can also buy flat flexi sheets of plastic  designed for the job simply roll them up drop into the bag and they hold it open ? cost about £7.00
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 21:27 »
Another idea might be those little collapsible crates you can buy in Lidl, B&Q and the like - the rectangular ones that fold flat? Easy to cart around and they'd do the trick while you get enough stuff in the bottom of the bag to keep it standing upright and open.
I don't really look like my avatar.

Dopey113

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 13:18 »
I just came back from lidl and seen this, they have a Refuse Bag Stand for £7 http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_30531.htm you could easily adapt that
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 13:19 by Dopey113 »
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 13:38 »
Here y' go prakash.

Bit of blue tube, dowel of the inside diam'  secured by self tappers, close tolerance holes drilled into ONE side equidistant round the circumference.  Pop bag inside, drape over the top and push the rods through the bag and into the blue ring to secure.   :ohmy:   Eaasy, peasy.

Cheers,      Tony.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 13:39 by Kleftiwallah »
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

xx
Help with filling for my raised bed please!

Started by Becky H on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post October 09, 2010, 15:28
by Missie
xx
Filling a raised bed

Started by wbmkk on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post February 09, 2014, 14:30
by Goosegirl
xx
Filling raised beds??

Started by moggy on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post February 13, 2008, 09:23
by moggy
xx
Filling in a large hole advice

Started by GazNicki on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post November 22, 2012, 10:37
by smud6ie

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 36 queries.