Help!

• 11 Replies

rebecca.smiles

Help!
« on: May 17, 2011, 23:58 »
I posted a couple of weeks ago about my new chickens not eating, well one went 'lame' until i discovered it was mareks. I take her to the vets to be put down tomorrow (she is a sorry sight) the other seems well but now i have discoverd she keeps pecking just above her tail; lifting her feathers and scratching. i took a look and she has a little nodule of flesh there, like a miniture little finger of flesh sticking stright up. its not a cut, but a growth i presume.

i'm new to keeping chickens, i only got two and I've only had them 5 weeks and the whole thing from start to finish has been distressing; watching them lose weight, they are 29 weeks old and not laying, trying to figure out what is wrong, thinking i hurt one of them to make her lame. ..

...and now this glob of weird flesh. I don't know if this one, olga, has marek's, but the way thing are going i don't have high hopes.

sorry to dump this on the forum, but family are kind of 'there there, you can get new ones'
why get new ones? i can't keep these two.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 00:48 »
Hi rebecca, I can't help you with the general chicken health issues or the marek's but I can assure you that the nodule above her tail is perfectly normal!  :)  It's her oil gland that she uses to keep her feathers shiny and waterproof.  She will rub it with her beak and head, and spread the oil from there over her feathers.

I hope that eases your concerns a bit.  Will be thinking of you with your girl at the vet tomorrow. 

dannyboy2010

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 08:17 »
hi rebecca, sorry to hear about your problems. one of mine had mareks. and all i can say is make sure you take the ill one away from the others......which im sure you have. and  give your coop and feeders and drinkers a good clean. and just keep your eye on the others. i did this and i never had a problem again.

all the best
keeps 1 colubian black tail, 1 light sussex, 1 speckled maran, a 3 new chicks

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 08:26 »
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope today is not too traumatic for you.

Have you thought about getting more? I assume you only had the 2, and will only have 1 after today? Chickens are very sociable and she will be quite unhappy on her own, so you should look into getting at least another 1 as soon as possible.

All the best,
Jacky.

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 09:00 »
sending you warm hugs to get you through today.
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

rebecca.smiles

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 10:09 »
Aw thanks for all the warm replies guys!

Lindeggs; I am SO glad to hear that. I guess i paniced out of nervous exhaustion.  :blush:

Dannyboy and Bluebells: Yeah i have disinfected coop, kept chloe who is sick in the run amd let olga roam. Last night I had chloe in a cat carrier in the house, she's in the run now and will get lots of treats today.

I will get another, although not immediately, as i need a chance to unwind before stressing over how i am going to intergrate another one in.

is there a period during which a new chicken might be exposed to the virus? i hear marek's can hang around a well cleaned coop for as long as 60 weeks? I would only get a new girl when the risk is low.

jamima

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 11:53 »
Yes thanks Lindeggs i did'nt know that either, usefull bit of infomation  :) hope your hens ok  .

dannyboy2010

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 14:51 »
i introduced a new hen a week or 2 later, and 1 year on i have not had any problems.

orchardlady

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 21:02 »
Ahhh Rebecca smiles you've been through the mill. This will have been a sad time for you but I very much doubt you have done anything wrong. When you do decide to get more try to make your little flock 3 or more. That way if one becomes ill and dies there will still be two as companions. I'm afraid I can't offer you advice on when to start anew but just remember you'll be fine, looking after fit and healthy hens is wonderful fun.

Take care.

Orchardlady.

dannyboy2010

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 21:18 »
completely agree with orchardlady, having lost one of your chooks from mareks, is not your fault. the hen could have been carrying it since it hatched,or just caught it.
dont let it fase you.

i did read keeping a turkey with your hens some how absorbs/gets rid of mareks??? as turkeys can fight the mearks strain some how.. food for thought :D

all the best

rebecca.smiles

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 09:31 »
Thanks guy's.

I'll be looking for vacinated companions soon. (the breeder hasn't got back to me yet on wether or not they vacinated against it)

I couldn't really have a turkey, which is a shame as it might see off all the cats that stalk my girls!

cheers

BigChick

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 15:02 »
JUST FOR INFO...

We came across a Marek vaccine that can be used by a backyard set up.  We hatch our own chicks and vaccinate at day old with a vaccine we mix with a red liquid (diluent) apparently it is red to indicate that it is ok to use!!

I looked in to the Marek vaccines and there are quite a few available to the commercial hatcheries but they are all stored in Liquid Nitrogen and a minimum order amount is 500,000 doses!!  There is one though licensed in the UK that I can use easily as it can be stored in the fridge and comes in a 1000 dose bottle - 1000 doses I hear you say!!  - Yes but it only costs £40 so for my hatch of 100 (or so) it still only works out at 40p per per bird which would be way to expensive for a commercial set up but is ok for me.  You use a syringe and take out some of the red liquid (Diluent) and inject it into the vaccine bottle to dissolve the pellet in the bottom, gently move it about to dissolve and then withdraw it all from the bottle with your syringe and inject it in to the diluent bag.  I then gently massage the bag to ensure it is mixed and take off a syringe full and then inject the chicks with 0.2ml each under the skin at the back of the neck - Done.  I then discard any unused vaccine as it only lasts for 2 hours once mixed.  Sounds mad I through away 900 doses out of 1000 - but I don't look at it like that as I am protecting my flock for £40.

As previous posts in this forum have indicated the vaccine wont prevent infection with the virus but it is licensed to reduce (Not prevent) disease and clinical signs caused by the virus.

Always should be done as close to day old as possible as the virus seems to be everywhere (dust, feather dander, egg shell!!) so it is a race against time to ensure the vaccine takes hold before the actual virus.

Our chickens have not shown any signs of Marek since I started vaccinating 3 years ago (touching wood as I type) !!

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Pfizer_Limited/Poulvac_MD-Vac/-33075.html

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 39 queries.