Help, I keep forgetting.

• 3 Replies

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
Help, I keep forgetting.
« on: April 17, 2021, 12:35 »
Can someone remind me which way, like up or down the chits go for french bean and squash. I have a bit of recollection that they are opposite.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Help, I keep forgetting.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 13:29 »
Do you mean pre-germinated (sprouted) seeds?
The root appears first, so should be planted pointing downwards of course.

Bean seeds sprout from the scar along the middle. It's usually recommended to sow them vertically to reduce the risk of the seed rotting off - (runner bean seeds have a small dimple below the scar which should point downwards - French bean seeds probably do too but you'd need a microscope to see them!)
Doesn't really matter - they're pretty good at sorting themselves out.

The roots of squashes appear from the 'pointy end', so should be sown with the pointy end facing down.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 14:21 »
Thanks JayG, yes i meant pre-germinated.After learning from last year and it's strange weather early on, i found that plants i put in the ground at 6 inches tall fared much better than my trials at getting germination to occur from direct sowing with both of the mentioned ones.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 09:14 »
The seeds also seem to sort this out in case they end up in the ground, pointed the wrong way.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 43 queries.