Where to plant runner beans (crop rotation)

• 5 Replies

Hugh

Where to plant runner beans (crop rotation)
« on: February 17, 2021, 17:03 »
I am attempting to get a planting plan for my allotment and would value some advice. Last year I had a bumper crop of runner beans, but which part of the allotment should I keep especially for them this year?  Here are my options: 1) where  I grew Jersey Royals 2) where I grew dwarf broad beans and peas or 3) where I grew mange tout and fennel. Each plot is big enough for a wigwam or a run of canes.

There is a fourth option. At present where I grew brassicas (cabbage and sprouting) last year, I have earmarked for Arran Pilot potatoes and I have just covered up the bed to warm for planting in March. Is that a sensible rotation or would it be a better spot for runner beans?

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks, Hugh

Nobbie

Re: Where to plant runner beans (crop rotation)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 17:50 »
Not sure runners really need rotation. Lots of people seem to grow them in the same location year after year, albeit they do prepare the trench well each year with compost etc. Not got the same issues as onions and cabbage with endemic pests and deseases.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 17:56 »
Agree, Nobbie!

On our old patch, there was a hideously ugly row of wire, gas pipe, orange string, drain pipes in the ground, rusty stock netting, a rampant hop plant and last year's bean stalks! It had been there for at least 25 years!

The beans loved it, going there every year, rather like going to Pontins... :0)

Hugh

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 18:30 »
Thanks. This is only my second year with an allotment, so still on a steep learning curve. The plot I grew them on last year was more sheltered than the other areas I have suggested, so it would be good to re-use the same plot. I've a lot of compost at hand so I will start the trench in due course on the same ground. Thanks Growster and Nobbie.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 20:02 »
Thanks, Hugh, you'll be fine with beans almost anywhere, and if you can, just change the types a little, pop in two or three varieties as even last year, one sort didn't do at all well, despite it being recommended by a good guy around here!

We always used the seed from the previous year, and just wanted a change!

And don't get them in too early, as this late winter/spring hasn't started as warmly as last year - I'm sure you know that!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 18:58 »
If you put any lime down last year for your brassicas, best not to follow that with spuds - they will go scabby in a limey area
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Runner/broad bean crop rotation

Started by banf77 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 17:59
by craggy
xx
Crop Rotation & Beans

Started by Lee G on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 15, 2008, 19:47
by gobs
xx
Can i plant late spud crop after early or main this rotation

Started by Theedes on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2008, 22:02
by DD.
xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 44 queries.