Distance from Apple Tree

• 4 Replies

Hitman

Distance from Apple Tree
« on: March 31, 2013, 09:15 »
Hello,

In my new garden I have a mature apple tree.  One side of it is in constant sun and I would like to make as much use of the ground as I can, so my question is, how close to the tree trunk can I cultivate?  Do I have to stop digging when I get under the tree canopy or can I go closer?  I am concerned about damaging the tree roots.

Thanks in advance.

HM

fatcat1955

Re: Distance from Apple Tree
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 09:18 »
As a rule of thumb you measure the height of a tree and that will also be the spread of the root's. You will also have problem's under a tree that the moisture will be sucked out of the soil by the root's and the shade caused by the canopy. The soil will be depleted of nutrient's as well.

parsley

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 13:36 »
Because my in laws have neglected the apple tree for so long she's very diseased and it's spread to other trees and plants. There's nothing wrong with building a circular trough around the base and growing annual plants in it but they'll need lots of watering and check the tree for disease.

I've given our tree a heavy prune this year (explaining to her and apologising first!) we won't get any apples but hopefully it will help the poor old girl
Motherhood - when being spontaneous takes 2 and a half days of careful planning

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 21:23 »
I have a bed which has two very large (over 20 feet)  pear trees on north side and an equally large apple on the east side.  The bed starts about 4 feet from the trunk of the pears and seven feet from the trunk of the apple. 

There's no roots in the normal planting depth of the soil.  The bed gets fed like all the others, all crops grow just as well here as in any other bed.

I wouldn't plant veggies directly underneath the canopy as, if the tree is a fruiter, you'll get fruit fall which will happily flatten young veggies given the chance.  We've the odd overhanging branch.  We tend to top net the bed after mid summer to catch the fruit.

Best of luck with your new garden !

simonwatson

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 00:22 »
I've got a big bramley in my garden and I grow veg close by. The only thing that made a different was encroaching under the canopy. My rule of thumb was if you looked straight up and saw sky, it was OK to plant in the ground.

xx
Small damsel tree and apple tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2022, 11:41
by mdjlucan
xx
Staking a new apple tree (and a new damson tree)

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 15:12
by Yorkie
xx
Apple tree and apple help...

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 09:45
by SG6
xx
apple tree

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2015, 13:41
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.376 seconds with 35 queries.