Hydrangea

• 7 Replies

twilight

Hydrangea
« on: July 11, 2012, 13:50 »
18 months ago I moved and took a potted Hydrangea with me.  This had had lots of flowers every year.  I took it out of the pot and planted in new soil in January.  last summer I got lots of new leaves but no flowers and was told probably because it had been moved and would be Ok the next year.  It is now the next year and has even more leaves but only one very small flower.  What is going on?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Hydrangea
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 14:15 »
Have you fed it?

rich24uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 14:41 »
Aside from feeding it, I've had issues and know people that had had issues with hydrangeas taking a year or 2 to settle down. I planted 2 a few years back, one is twice the size of the other and has double the number of flowers....  ???

Spana

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 14:43 »
You say it was potted,was it one that you had as a house plant inside?.

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 14:54 »
I moved one from a large pot a couple of years ago it is a healthy plant but has never had as many flowers since the move. It is now in the in laws garden a slightly more acid soil and flowers are a little bit blue.
In a limy soil the flowers are pink but if you have a very limy soil it can flower red.
Just give it time to settle down . Was it pruned before replanting this can also slow down flowering if done to hard .
John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

twilight

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 15:53 »
No I haven't fed it as it was planted with plenty of ericaceous compost and the soil is acidic which I read they liked.  I did put some blood, fish and bone around it about a month ago though.

It was also in a large pot outside for years so I don't think that is a problem.

I was getting so excited in the spring seeing all these leaves coming out but now just disappointed.  I did prune when i first planted it the january before last but haven't done so since.  Everybody elses hydrangeas along this road look superb which makes be even more disappointed.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 17:56 »
You have to be careful pruning them, we have done a proper prune, rather than just dead heading, a couple of times, and had a lot less flowers the next year. Last year it was thinned out as it was congested, and it is truly amazing this year, never been so good. Don't think it's ever been fed though. :unsure:

fatcat1955

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 09:16 »
You should not prune a Hydrangea until all threat of frost has passed. The old wood protects the new shoot's. Read this in a book somewhere and work's for me.

xx
Hydrangea

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 08, 2023, 21:31
by Subversive_plot
clip
Hydrangea

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post August 26, 2019, 11:15
by mumofstig
xx
hydrangea

Started by loobs61 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 18:02
by loobs61
xx
hydrangea

Started by samuria on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post October 10, 2020, 18:50
by samuria

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 39 queries.