Help identifying this mushroom

• 5 Replies

Amatuer Allotmenteer

• Amatuer Allotmenteer
Help identifying this mushroom
« on: May 27, 2021, 22:21 »
Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong place (I'm new🙈) I took on a plot back in October 2020 and decided to go with raised beds. Long story short I built some raised beds and filled them with shop bought "soil improver" and compost, then when the time was right I planted my seed potatoes in this bed however I'm now getting a large amount of mushrooms grow in this bed around my spuds and I'm worried it's going to affect my harvest. I have zero clue when it comes to mushrooms, can't stand them haha but if anyone could tell me what sort these are and if they're going to spoil my crop, are dangerous for my kids/dog, etc. I've attached a pic for you and hopefully one of you lovely people can tell me more 😁😁
20210518_194526.jpg

Hampshire Hog

Re: Help identifying this mushroom
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 22:58 »
My assumption would be that your “soil improver” includes some spent mushroom compost. BUT and it’s a big BUT  you would need a lot more views of that mushroom to tell whether it was problematic. Unfortunately there are lots and lots of fungi that look very similar. To help those with more expertise than me I would suggest you post another photo of the underside of the mushroom. Alternatively ask the supplier of the “soil improver” whether it contains commercial used mushroom compost. If it does there shouldn’t be an issue. Hope you manage to clarify. HH

Keep digging

Amatuer Allotmenteer

• Amatuer Allotmenteer
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 11:06 »
My assumption would be that your “soil improver” includes some spent mushroom compost. BUT and it’s a big BUT  you would need a lot more views of that mushroom to tell whether it was problematic. Unfortunately there are lots and lots of fungi that look very similar. To help those with more expertise than me I would suggest you post another photo of the underside of the mushroom. Alternatively ask the supplier of the “soil improver” whether it contains commercial used mushroom compost. If it does there shouldn’t be an issue. Hope you manage to clarify. HH

Thanks for replying. I haven't had a chance to get back to the plot since posting but as soon as I do I'll try and get some more pics.

:D :D :D

Amatuer Allotmenteer

• Amatuer Allotmenteer
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 19:59 »
So I finally managed to get up to the plot and take a couple of pictures of this mystery mushroom. If anyone can identify it is greatly appreciate it.
20210606_195859.jpg
20210606_195853.jpg
20210606_195841.jpg

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 20:11 »
I'm not sure what mushroom it is, sorry - and to be honest I wouldn't attempt an identification even if I had an idea, because the risks of getting it wrong are so significant.  We probably all remember the (admittedly rare) cases in the media from a few years ago of individuals getting it wrong and suffering permanent kidney disease or worse.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

wooger

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 20:55 »
It looks like a common inkcap to me based on https://www.wildfooduk.com/mushroom-guide/common-inkcap/, which is not recommended as edible.

But I don't think you have a big problem to worry about, just some woody compost (isn't it all this year?).

xx
Identifying veg

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 15:53
by Ropster
clip
Help identifying

Started by ches on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 03, 2020, 17:04
by jaydig3
xx
Identifying Raspberries

Started by simonwatson on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 08:26
by simonwatson
xx
Help Identifying Beans

Started by clarebear on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 04, 2017, 20:41
by Threetoabean

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 42 queries.