Covid positives...

• 7 Replies

Growster...

Covid positives...
« on: February 03, 2021, 08:47 »
One good thing to come out of this awful covid invasion, is that I chat on the phone to my dear sister - who lives in Cheshire - much more than I used to!

She's a bit older than me, so I'm still her baby brother, but we had several huge laughs on Sunday...

1) She reminded me of our mum's passion for the roller towel in the kitchen at our family home! How on earth could that subject come up! And we still can't remember where it actually was fixed! Has anyone here got one?

2) She told me that our maternal grandmother and a lovely aunt used to make a delicacy known as a 'Bedfordshire Clanger'! They were famous around Shefford, where they all lived, and for the life of me, I can't recall these comestibles at all! https://www.tastemade.co.uk/videos/clangers . Again, does anyone here make them nowadays?

And all this chat went on a couple of days ago, just after Mrs Growster announced that she's bought a DVD of 'Babe', so I'll need to stock up on tissues, because the last half-hour is just about the best filming I've ever seen! (Maybe after the 'redoubt' scene in 'Zulu'...).

I blame the covids...

mrs bouquet

Re: Covid positives...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 12:42 »
We didn't have a towel roll.  But I seem to recall that they were always on the back of kitchen doors.  So that they could be screwed onto the wood maybe ?     Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

GraciesGran

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 13:41 »
Mum had rolled towel on the back of the kitchen door.  If memory served me right it was a piece of broom handle paid on two hooks.

I've been writing to a couple of elderly relatives, it's usually a couple of times a year but am writing every couple of weeks.   Enjoy a gossip and a glass of vino with a couple of cousins,  we were in touch via email but this is much more enjoyable.

Am also talking more to my sister in law notwithstanding the fact that she still hasn't forgiven me for marrying her brother in 1974.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 13:59 »
There are some real good positives to be had during this lock down. It makes (or should make) one realise what's really important in life and what isn't, so when some sort of "normality" returns it will give us the chance to embrace them whole-heartedly. Talking of which, how much human beings need regular hugs as they're one of the things I miss the most.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 14:11 »
We didn't have a towel roll.  But I seem to recall that they were always on the back of kitchen doors.  So that they could be screwed onto the wood maybe ?     Mrs Bouquet

You may well be right, Mrs B, so I'll ask her!

I originally thought it might have been on the china cupboard door...

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 14:17 »
Mum had rolled towel on the back of the kitchen door.  If memory served me right it was a piece of broom handle paid on two hooks.

I've been writing to a couple of elderly relatives, it's usually a couple of times a year but am writing every couple of weeks.   Enjoy a gossip and a glass of vino with a couple of cousins,  we were in touch via email but this is much more enjoyable.

Am also talking more to my sister in law notwithstanding the fact that she still hasn't forgiven me for marrying her brother in 1974.
As an elderly o** f***, Graciesgran, I've scanned every old Hastings school magazine from the fifties/sixties, for contemporaries, friends or foe! It's taken ages, and I even had to make a scanning stand for my iPad to make it work, but you'd be amazed at how many old names have come out of the woodwork to chat, and have a few laughs! We're all in our late sixties, early seventies too, which makes it even more fun!

If there's anything to come out of a covid lockdown, it's the way we go back to our roots, and do things like we did back then...

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 14:24 »
There are some real good positives to be had during this lock down. It makes (or should make) one realise what's really important in life and what isn't, so when some sort of "normality" returns it will give us the chance to embrace them whole-heartedly. Talking of which, how much human beings need regular hugs as they're one of the things I miss the most.

Spot on, Goosey!

Preferences, prejudices, etc., take a back seat, and we just contact each other so easily on line now, after a year of uncertainty.

I just hate not being able to hug chums, which was the norm only a year ago, and we always did, whenever we met in the village, wherever we were! When I worked for a living, my first job was always to shake hands, and also with the ladies, who were usually involved in my business, although a decent hug was much nicer later on, even if Mrs Growster was there! Well, she was just the same with my mates...

Topsy-turvy I'm afraid!

I just feel so sad for kids wanting to do all that, and just can't. There's going to be so many confused - and frustrated young boys and girls out there for a long, long time time!

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 16:33 »

Since lockdown, we've been doing a regular Sat night quiz on Houseparty with our two sons and their families, haven't seen them in the flesh, and they live quite close, so its great that we see all the family every weekend, excuse for a few drinks too ! Probably see more of them now than we did before   ;) :D
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 16:36 by bobbyt »

xx
Have you had Covid

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

63 Replies
Last post July 24, 2022, 23:20
by John
xx
Do you know anyone that has gotten the COVID jab yet?

Started by Subversive_plot on Chatting on the Plot

115 Replies
Last post May 30, 2021, 13:39
by Aunt Sally
xx
Covid booster

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

75 Replies
Last post February 16, 2022, 16:55
by MrsPea
xx
Covid lockdown

Started by seashell on Chatting on the Plot

14 Replies
Last post September 16, 2020, 11:42
by New shoot

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 43 queries.