Hi. Total Newbie

• 9 Replies

Jane74

Hi. Total Newbie
« on: July 17, 2015, 10:43 »
Hi. Just thought i would introduce myself as i am new to the forum, and allotments! I just took over my plot last week, and im currently trying to get it under control as it was very overgrown! I say 'was'.. three quarters of it, still resembles a jungle..
I would be very grateful for any words of wisdom to get me started. Its all quite overwhelming, but i am going to have fun trying :)
Thanks! :)

Fairy Plotmother

Re: Hi. Total Newbie
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 12:15 »
Hello and welcome Jane. Take it easy, you'll enjoy it more if you don't wear yourself out!

cadalot

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 13:42 »
Hi and welcome, punt around the Articles and Advice button at the top and you will get to http://www.allotment-garden.org/allotment/index.php and there is guidance there on clearing a new allotment. I highly recommend keeping a Diary and lots of photographs so you can look back and see how much you have actually done.

My original diary from getting the plot can be found at http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=100234.0 - Check out the Dairies looking at the photographs gives you lots of ideas and is especially useful during Winter months when it's too dark to get down to the plot to do stuff

Jane74

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 15:15 »
Thank you for replying. I will take a look around the forum :)

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 15:25 »
Hi there Jane74, nice & slowly does it, as Cadalot says have a look at those links etc, but just clear a little & plant it up to give you something to aim for, 'all work & no play makes Jack a dull boy'. As you say have fun
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 17:22 »
Welcome to the site  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 19:16 »
Welcome from me too. Keep it simple.... grow what you like to eat... look at plots close to you and see what grows well... dont do too much at once... plan early for next year... dont be suduced by ads for stuff you dont need... dont buy seeds on impulse.
Enjoy your gardening.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

jaydig

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 20:02 »
Hello and welcome.  If you follow the advice of the others you won't go wrong.  I know when winter comes along the thought of going to your plot might not fill you with joy, but if you can carry on working when the ground is fit to get onto you will be ready for sowing and planting when the spring comes.  Even if you only manage to clear some of it, at least you'll have something in and growing while you work on the next section. Good luck, and most of all - enjoy it!.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 20:03 »
Seedaholics are one of the very few problems with this forum...  ;) I could provide you with their names but I'm sure you'll spot them soon enough!

Agree with the advice given so far - little and often is the way to get going and to keep the enthusiasm up.

Pip pip,
Balders

Jane74

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 14:36 »
Thank you. The plan is little and often, so i dont get fed up with it before i've even began. I have managed to plant some lettuce, cabbage and onions on a little patch that i have managed to get straight.. the plan is to get the rest of the plot in a reasonable condition and then to cover with tarpaulin until i can get really stuck in with planting, and have some kind of crop plan. I'm really interested in making my own wine, jams chutneys etc. I have a lot to learn!

Thanks again! Nice to meet you all.

xx

Started by Martyn23 on Welcome to the Forums

8 Replies
Last post May 09, 2016, 21:40
by Yorkie
xx

Started by Darren Barker on Welcome to the Forums

3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2020, 11:33
by Aunt Sally
xx
Yet another Newbie

Started by mybackaches! on Welcome to the Forums

6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2015, 08:44
by mumofstig
xx
Another Newbie

Started by seashell on Welcome to the Forums

3 Replies
Last post July 23, 2020, 17:07
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 39 queries.