Fox advice

• 27 Replies

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
Re: Fox advice
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 10:39 »
I can always remember being told,

" never leave a cat with a baby because it will curl up and suffocate it."

LOL yeah remember my mum going on about this, got a feeling this dates back from the 70's or perhaps even earlier. When it was a lot more of a common practice to leave us nippers asleep in the pram out in the garden. My mum used to have a cat net that she would put over the pram to stop any cats getting into  it. Not sure if their was ever any evidence of multitudes of babies getting suffocated by cats though..................LOL

Paul Plots

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 01:38 »
I can always remember being told,

" never leave a cat with a baby because it will curl up and suffocate it."

LOL yeah remember my mum going on about this, got a feeling this dates back from the 70's or perhaps even earlier. When it was a lot more of a common practice to leave us nippers asleep in the pram out in the garden. My mum used to have a cat net that she would put over the pram to stop any cats getting into  it. Not sure if their was ever any evidence of multitudes of babies getting suffocated by cats though..................LOL

Nothing much to do with foxes but.... our "ginger-min" (heaven knows who named him) did a nearly thorough job of snuffing me out. Did just that apparently..... curled up in the pram with me. I changed colour but survived.

Who said "shame"?  :ohmy: :lol:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 08:45 »
In the 80's when I was having our first born my mum bought the pram (a lovely silver cross jobby) and she insisted we got a cat net to prevent such a thing happening - apparently cats like the warmth so will curl up to sleep. Having no cats coming near our house because of the dogs I didn't think such a thing was necessary but still used it and it did a great job of keeping flies and bees etc off whilst our sons got some fresh air (do new mums still do this?).
Staffies are softer than you think.

Paul Plots

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 17:54 »
Back on topic quickly before I get told off........

The bungalow next-door to my parents has been sold as dear old 93year old Norman died once moved to a nursing home. His wilderness, forest garden is gradually being "trimmed".

The new owners visit for a few hours each day to do the usual stripping, ripping, emptying and now garden trimming.

Right at the far end of their new garden lives a small pack of foxes (what is the collective noun for a group of foxes?).

I am watching with interest not just to see the improved light flooding into my parents place but to see what happens to the foxes. So far - not seen them out late at night or early morning. I wonder if they'll move in under our two big sheds instead.  :blink:  :unsure:

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 09:46 »
You can have a skulk of foxes  - seems pretty apt when they are up to something naughty!

Our neighbour used to feed a fox at the bottom of her garden so it became pretty tame but it fortunately thought that the chickens at the other end of the road were more tasty than mine!

Paul Plots

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 15:19 »
You can have a skulk of foxes  - seems pretty apt when they are up to something naughty!

Thanks so much - I'd forgotten that one. I think there is another too but "skulk" sounds ideal.  ;)

Our neighbour used to feed a fox at the bottom of her garden so it became pretty tame but it fortunately thought that the chickens at the other end of the road were more tasty than mine!

Poor old chickens!  :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 16:37 »
please do not follow that advise - instead have a word with a professional service to get rid of foxes and vermin.
Craigx there are laws which state where and when guns can be used. Also you need to know that any animal is culled quickly and efficiently otherwise you can be liable for causing an animal to suffer.

Paul Plots

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 01:27 »
please do not follow that advise - instead have a word with a professional service to get rid of foxes and vermin.
Craigx there are laws which state where and when guns can be used. Also you need to know that any animal is culled quickly and efficiently otherwise you can be liable for causing an animal to suffer.

I'm a bit confused about the advice which should not be followed....  :blink:  I guess it's earlier in this thread?  :unsure:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 12:51 »

I'm a bit confused about the advice which should not be followed....  :blink:  I guess it's earlier in this thread?  :unsure:

It has been removed Paul due to site policies.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Craigx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2013, 12:54 »
Hey

Sorry ANHBUC, i removed it due to not wanting to get into a discussion with no possible outcome other then stress.

My comment was about getting a hunter to solve the fox issue, even tho it has been taken slightly out of context..

Hence the reason i removed

Craig

My wife, The kids, Coco the dog, Abunch of hens,

ANHBUC

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2013, 13:02 »
Hey

Sorry ANHBUC, i removed it due to not wanting to get into a discussion with no possible outcome other then stress.

My comment was about getting a hunter to solve the fox issue, even tho it has been taken slightly out of context..

Hence the reason i removed

Craig

Thanks for that Craig, I thought joyfull had removed it.  It is more a worry that people who do not have knowledge of the laws (myself included) might end up on the wrong side of the law by asking for someone to resolve their fox problem.  No offense meant.   :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 13:10 by ANHBUC »

Craigx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2013, 13:03 »
no problem mate,

most people advertising hunting, know how todo it properly but yeah i guess there is still laws,

Craig

ANHBUC

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2013, 13:07 »
 :) 

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
Ex bat advice please!!!

Started by Mum2mj on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2012, 09:42
by Pat4d
xx
Advice Please!

Started by Chicken sheila on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 26, 2013, 23:16
by ANHBUC
xx
need some advice

Started by chubbsta on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 03, 2012, 16:07
by grinling

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 39 queries.