DD's Carrots

• 28 Replies

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: DD's Carrots
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 22:07 »
everything looks bloomin gorgeous Bobbeh, shame about the taste...try a different variety next time (thats what I would do)
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Bobbeh

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 22:28 »
Thanks peapod.

The carrots are F1 Maestro that I got free with John's book. They smelled great when pulled, really carroty aroma and they didn't taste bad. Just weren't much better than your average shop bought carrot. They were smaller than i anticipated so hopefully the other ones will get better as they get larger. :)

I do have two other varities of carrot on the go also, so all is not lost!

Wish they'd grow quicker though! All seemed to be doing well and had fantastic tops until Tuesday when hail and torrential rain flattened them snapping quite a few leaves. :( Still, they got off lightly compared to my poor lettuce!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2009, 22:35 »
Let us know the varieties Bobbeh itll be handy for next year. Ive got 4 different ones on the go, so itll be interesting to compare them for size vs flavour

Bad luck about the weather, good thing theres plenty of time for more lettuce (and carrots come to think about it)

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 22:43 »
I'm so jealous of you all!!!

I can't get carrots to germinate outside on my lotty!

soil is not manured, is sandy and (just about) free from stones and other obstacles, but I just can't seem to get the b*ggers to germ!!!

One of the one's I pulled from the GH border though was faaaan-tastic!  :D :happy:

Bobbeh

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 22:57 »
I've got F1 Maestro as already mentioned and D'Eysines fat carrot (from Real Seeds) sown in two halves of a plastic barrel.

I've also got some Autumn King 2 in a fairly deep old plastic water tank. I bought this packet of seeds last year when I first attempted veg gardening, stupidly trying to plant this variety that needs deep soil in a fairly small container. Needless to say combined with the poor summer we had things didn't go well. :D

Also got two other packets of seed that I didn't have space for (just growing in the garden!), one I got with John's second book (F1 Nelson) and from the BBC's Dig In promotion (Early Nantes). So I'm pretty well carrotted. It's so easy to get carried away acquiring seeds. :)

Actually looking at the F1 Maestro packet I shouldn't be harvesting yet, and the carrots in the picture are cylindrical where as mine were pointy, so that could explain it. I've been too eager. :) Though I'd have thought large thinnings would still be quite tasty?

Sorry for highjacking this thread by the way! ;)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 23:05 by Bobbeh »

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 23:10 »
Agreed that the thinnigs should be tasty, in fact probably more so as young and tender

Early nantes were great for me last year (I can still taste them now!)

Ive also got Autumn King as well as Flyaway and another I cant remember right now. From what I can remember they are short and chunky as I also grew in containers (but have a dedicated bed at home now for snips and carrots) and I still had these seeds knocking about

Ill start a poll later this year  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 07:51 »
Great looking carrots there, I'm trying to grow some myself, how did you know they were ready to pull. I must say the bushy tops on yours look very green, is that an indication that they're ready?

Brush some soil away from the shoulder of the carrot. If it looks reasonably wide, (1/2" or so), then the chances are there should be something underneath to use. Be prepared to get the odd stumpy one.

They have to eaten within 30 seconds! :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

crowndale

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 08:04 »
I planted a three foot row of carrots in april, got one carrot growing from it!  so have resown last week in the hope of a few carrots still!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2009, 22:25 »
I have pot and ground sown carrots all doing great. I think they were autumn king too  ;)
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

Bobbeh

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2009, 23:20 »
Picked some of my Autumn King carrots today. They were a better size. :)

Here they are with my other contributions to Sunday dinner - Anya tatties, turnips and peas.  8)

Among the carrots I pulled was this rather odd, and perhaps a bit rude one. :D

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2009, 23:23 »
Rude veg pics are back, I love 'em  :lol:

Your turnips look great, first time Ive grown them this year,so now I know what to aim for

Bobbeh

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2009, 23:37 »
Thanks. It's my first year growing most things, including turnips. I'm quite pleased with them so far, though I probably prefer the taste of swedes. :D

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2009, 23:43 »
Not to blow my own trumpet,but I always do well with swedes,  (sorry DD)
I love them, and hopefully my plot will be as forgiving with turnips.  I know Im extremely impressed with the germination rate,so thats a good start hopefully

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2009, 07:35 »
Not to blow my own trumpet,but I always do well with swedes,  (sorry DD)

:tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:

xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
Carrots

Started by GrannieAnnie on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 27, 2006, 21:40
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Carrots

Started by ches on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 18, 2019, 08:36
by ches
xx
Carrots

Started by Digger Tom on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 22, 2010, 12:38
by Digger Tom

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 38 queries.