Kiwi caught by the frost

• 7 Replies

Chaz1985

• Experienced Member
Kiwi caught by the frost
« on: March 27, 2014, 18:42 »
Even with erecting an impressive fleece barrier my kiwi vines have been caught by the recent frost. Their once lush green budding leaves are now a depressing crispy brown  :( I'm just hoping that they can manage to make a come back as they are my favourite plants on the plot.

Does anyone else grow Kiwi vines? The ones that have been caught by the frost are the Kiwi 'Jenny', my two Kiwi 'Issai' are still currently holding their own. What do people do to protect them, other than grow in a greenhouse? I am thinking about trying to build a polytunnel 'based' structure to protect them from any further damage but DIY is not my strongest point (I'm still surprised I have any fingers left after building raised beds without adult supervision!)

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

gobs

Re: Kiwi caught by the frost
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 19:47 »
Those are not numerous, I'm afraid, apart from what you already mention.

Couldn't you move it somewhere more frost free? How are you training it? If it can be lowered that might also help.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 19:52 »
Ermmm i have never put protection on mine  ??? Didnt realise I needed too. They have lovely leaves already looking great even after the bad frost, worried now but I have no option to cover them its impossible where they are.

gobs

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 19:57 »
Mine hasn't broken bud yet. I never cover it either but then this mght be the very reason why it only flowered once.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 21:09 »
Mine has never flowered lol could a frost cause that, someone said they take about seven years to flower and mine are not that old

Chaz1985

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 07:11 »
Both of mine flowered lovely last year but I didn't get any fruit as the wind caught the blossom. I'm hoping that they make a comeback and still do the same this year but I'm not holding out much hope.

They are on a 5m post and wire system so are rather exposed. I'm toying with the idea of garden arches, bamboo canes, polythene sheeting and bubblewrap at the moment to try and give them some protection from both the wind and frost!

« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 07:13 by Chaz1985 »

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 10:28 »

I have a kiwi arguta, its supposed to be quite hardy .I've had it two years and it's still only about two ft tall .
     There is new growth on it now ,so I'm hoping for  a dramatic growth spurt .

gobs

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 20:35 »
Mine has never flowered lol could a frost cause that, someone said they take about seven years to flower and mine are not that old

About their flowering age quite some contradicting information to be had. Some say, what you were told and then you can read the commercial yields at 4 years of age.

This could be due to variety/propagation method or simply just as some would say: so many females are reluctant to flower till late.

However, some might take the good yield age(7) as equal to start of flowering.

xx
frost has caught my spuds

Started by Mosslane on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 24, 2010, 14:14
by Digger Tom
xx
Potato frost caught

Started by Fluff on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 03, 2007, 11:54
by WG.
xx
Tomatoes caught by the frost

Started by chrissydrove on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 16:53
by hamstergbert
xx
birds getting caught in netting

Started by moomoos42 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 13:07
by Vit

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 28 queries.